• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Speaking of biomarkers...

urbantravels

disjecta membra
New article in the journal Nature with a commentary on the sorry state of biomarker research - looks like we aren't the only ones with a problem.

Anyone got a Nature sub and can get the full text?

http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v469/n7329/full/469156a.html

Bring on the biomarkers
George Poste

Journal name: Nature
Volume: 69,
Pages: 156157
Date published: (13 January 2011)
DOI:
10.1038/469156a

Published online
12 January 2011

Nature | Comment

Bring on the biomarkers
George Poste

The dismal patchwork of fragmented research on disease-associated biomarkers should be replaced by a coordinated 'big science' approach, argues George Poste.

illsince1977

A shadow of my former self
I wonder if the article is related to the editorial in the same issue.
First do no harm http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v469/n7329/full/469132a.html , which focuses on a lack of biomarkers in psychiatric diagnoses. There is also a downloadable article about a new(?) tool Japanese neuroscientists are using as a biomarker in mental illness NIRS. Wonder how our brains would read on this? Would the results be more grist for the mill that considers ours a mental illness rather than a physical/organic one that does CNS damage? Who knows! I can't imagine that we have been part of the test population despite having heard Japan is ahead of many other governments in taking CFS seriously.
I do not have access to the article you started this thread about. Sorry!