• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Sore glands in neck when on famvir and other antivirals

knackers323

I am getting sore glands in the neck from famvir. I do occasionally get sore glands with my illness, mostly when I've pushed myself to far and am more exhausted.

I haven't tested positive to any virus but just trying it see what reaction I would get.

I am trying to work out what it means.

Anyone have experience with this when on antivirals.

Is a worsening of some symptoms a sign antivirals are working?

Is this likely to be a sign that the medication is killing something and it's like a herx or could it be a side effect?

Thanks

I took Valtrex for two years. I felt pretty ill for the first couple of months and really for almost a year. It felt very similar to sugar withdrawal for me - an all over, almost nauseated heaviness. My doctor encouraged me to stick it out and I did. I think it will work better if you can cut sugar out of your diet. .

Sore glands for me is my first sign of infection but it didn't happen while I was taking the Valtrex.

BTW, after two years, I felt really good and was able to commit to a diet/workout regiment. It's been about 4-5 years now and I'm close to what I might consider normal. - maybe.

ukxmrv

Not sure knackers323. I had no side effects or Herx/IRIS from either Valtrex or Famvir but they both helped improve my viral symptoms and my normal sore throats and glands went down.

Could be IRIS maybe?

Hope others have better ideas.