• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Small blister-like bump on finger with a black head, any ideas what it could be?

Ocean

Last night I felt a weird sensation on my finger and found a blister-like bump there, above my finger nail and cuticle. It has a black head to it but doesn't look or feel like a pimple. It's itchy and feels tight and full. I tend to get paronychias on my fingers in that same area and this does feel quite a lot like that but I've never had one with something black in it and I don't see any like that when I look at online photos. I couldn't get an appointment with my dermatologist till late next week. Just wondering if anyone recognizes what this might be?

ukxmrv

It looks like the start of what I got and eventually was told that was a wart. At least that's what it looked like at the start. It grew over a year or so. Others began to appear in the same place. It was only a NHS GP that told me that so a proper dermatologist could correct their opinion and I'd accept that!

Ocean

Thank you! Did yours have a black head on it also? Did yours itch? Did you get them removed?

Ocean

Last night I soaked it in hot water with salt, which is what I'm supposed to do with paronychias and it became much less angry, itchy, and inflamed. It's still there today but looking better so I will keep trying this approach and see what happens.

maryb

iherb code TAK122
I got one on my finger once, it was a veruca, same treatment as that for feet. Easier to treat on finger though, but can't remember what I did, didn't take long for it to go though. I would think just keeping it in a cup of salt water whilst you're just sitting will help for now most things can't live in salt water

Ocean

I looked up veruca. I guess it's a wart? Mine did not look like the pics I found online of veruca though. The problem with the doctor not seeing me till late next week is that it might be gone by then (I hope) and then I won't be able to find out what it was. I soaked it again and it's looking much better.

ukxmrv

Hi Ocean,

Yes, mine had the black head. I took Lysine and put tiny amounts of tea tree oil directly onto it with a small cotton tip. Took about 3-6 months to disappear but they had grown quite large and in a cluster.

Ocean

Thank you. If mine isn't gone by late next week, I'll keep my dr. appointment and I'll update here on what he says, see if it's the same as what you had or different. So far after soaking I think the black part seems to be gone, or no longer visible at least. But the bump is still there and is really hard.

taniaaust1

Ive had a wart which went black in the middle but that didnt itch.

I also had these other things. Their name starts with a p if Im remembering correctly but wasnt what you said.. those too are small hard blister like lumps which get a darker patch in the middle of them (often will appear in patches of the lumps). Science dont know what causes them but it is thought that stress can lead to them (and ive heard several say they got them after a virus). I'll post but the name if I can think of them but they usually appear on the fingers or hand and they are very itchy.

If u put up a picture up of it I may be able to tell u if it is one of these.

Ocean

Hi Tania, Thank you. I did put a pic up but removed it before you commented. I saw my dr. but he didn't know what it was, especially since it was so much smaller by the time I saw him. He guessed either a wart, a foreign body that had got in there. He mentioned some sort of cyst but he didn't think based on how it looked that it was that. It's gone for now, after hot saltwater soaks, luckily! He said warts can have a black dot in the middle, so maybe it was a wart. If you think of the name let me know!

Ocean

I got another one now. I think it's a wart, maybe a "flat wart" based on the description I read of that. Is this related to poor immunity or viral issues? I read warts are caused by a virus. Any connection to CFS? I have been wanting to try IVIG for immune subclass deficiency, could that also help with something like this?