• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Sleeping

Beyond

Juice Me Up, Scotty!!!
Still not sure what methylation is........sorry if I'm being dense.....
It is a process of the body involved with DNA and detoxification that seems to be off in a good part of the CFS/ME population. The avenues of treatment are either the ones proposed by Rickvank, Freddd or Yasko Simplified.

caledonia

Still not sure what methylation is........sorry if I'm being dense.....

Watch the Methylation Made Easy video #1 linked in my signature, but basically what Beyond said. Your body takes folate and B12 and uses it to make methyl groups. This runs over 40 very important processes in the body, including DNA, neurotransmitters, detoxification, and so forth.

If your methylation is running poorly, then you will have a wide range of symptoms, which explains the symptoms of ME/CFS.

So, for example, you're having problems with sleep. Sleep is regulated by the neurotransmitters serotonin and melatonin. If you're not methylating properly, you won't be making very many neurotransmitters, therefore, you won't be sleeping very well.

If you improve methylation, you will make more serotonin and melatonin, and therefore be able to sleep better.

Same deal with the GABA/glutamate balance - it should go back into balance, so you're not wired and tired.

I've had success with all of those by doing methylation treatment, and don't need to supplement for those directly any more with 5htp, melatonin or GABA.

Spinney Lainey

@caledonia - I finally got to watch the video on methylation but I'm still unsure as to how I can go about treating myself. It mentions personalised supplementation - how would one find out what these should be.........?