• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Simon Wessely statement to Leonid Schneider on data sharing

barbc56

He's making an issue of a nonissue. While there might be legal concerns, I think he exagerrates what they mean.

I wonder how much these type of statements are being driven by the lawyers.

I guess it really doesn't make a difference as the message is still absolutely ridiculous.

How do you spell backpedaling?* :D

Edit

*It's an american expression which hopefully isn't confusing. I think.

Sean

No amount of computation will allow a recreation from the data to pick out 640 patients from the 250000 in the UK.
And why on earth would you want to do that anyway? Are they seriously arguing that we have no other purpose but to identify PACE participants from the data and harass them?

It is a ludicrous accusation, and clearly defamatory.

I wonder how much these type of statements are being driven by the lawyers.
I doubt the lawyers have much to do with it in this case. It is just pure arse covering by Wessely, via his usual propaganda tricks.

I don't believe for a second that he, and most of his like-minded colleagues, haven't realised by now – especially after the stark null result in the 2.5 year follow-up paper – what a disaster the PACE results and trial have been for them and that they can't keep pulling the wool over the world's eyes.

They know what is going to happen, eventually, one way or another. It is all just stalling tactics now, to delay the inevitable.

TiredSam

The wise nematode hibernates
It is all just stalling tactics now, to delay the inevitable.
I think it's a bit more than stalling tactics. Make some vacuous statements that allow you to jump whichever way the wind blows at a later date, confuse GET with energy envelope management as we know it, any strategy that increases their chances of saving their skin when it all comes tumbling down.

cigana

This is the usual matter-of-factly BS deflection from Wessely.
If only the poor patients understood this is rather complicated etc etc.

War criminal...

Justin30

I just want to clarify something, disease eatimates are in the millions (17 million probably more) for people that suffer with this.
I would say millions have suffered as CBT and GET has been standard treatment around the world for years. This doesn't even include the burden on family, friends, employers, government and society.

This man and his cohorts should be ashamed, scrutinized and jailed if you ask me.