ME/CFS and the Change of Seasons: How Does This Affect You?
The advent of autumn can hit Jody Smith pretty hard. She's learned a few ways to lessen the damage every year. How do you handle the change of seasons?
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Side effects of Schizandra?

Discussion in 'General Treatment' started by Tiger Lily 813, Jun 14, 2018.

1. Tiger Lily 813

Tiger Lily 813 Senior Member

Hi all, I was wondering if anyone knows why Schizandra could have set me back.
    It really helped me sleep (possibly more than anything else has), but ultimately after two weeks brought on a setback so I won't be taking it anymore.
    My theory is that it threw my adrenals or hormones out of whack, but I don't know that.
    I believe it increased my hormones. Maybe my body wasn't able to furnish that response...
    Has anyone had a similar experience?
    Thanks!

2. ebethc

ebethc Senior Member

nothing but positive experiences w schisandra BUT very mixed w "adrenal" remedies... My takeaway is adrenals are extremely sensitive w chronically ill... Prednisone was a disaster for me

3. JaimeS

JaimeS Senior Member

Silicon Valley, CA
    I agree with @ebethc ... I am really, really wary of anything that claims it's for "adrenal support". Tends to have poor consequences for pwme.

4. CCC

CCC Senior Member

We've found no problems, but we have about 5-10 drops of tincture a day with other herbs (as part of a Bartonella treatment)

A quick google found this at: http://www.herbslist.net/schizandra.html

And this at: https://www.nootropedia.com/schisandra/
    There's also a lot in the TCM literature, but I don't really have the knowledge to help you work out whether it simply disagreed with you (but in facny TCM words).

5. RWP (Rest without Peace)

RWP (Rest without Peace) Senior Member

@Tiger Lily 813

Yes, Schizandra can be a two-edged sword, as can most adrenal herbs. My wife, @PWR (Peace without Rest), used it for years every day, and in large quantities. Then, it began giving her sleep disorder. It can have a "revving" effect on the adrenals. So it's possible that it helped you until you didn't need it as much or at all anymore. Then, it began to backfire.

RWP + PWR

6. Tiger Lily 813

Tiger Lily 813 Senior Member

Thank you all for sharing your experiences- interesting about the adrenal boost. I can't take the animal-sourced glandulars (as many of you mentioned the boost makes me crash), and although Schisandra is different, that's a possibility. I really felt that whatever messed me up caused a hormonal imbalance too. Could have been another feature of the adrenal boost... but it is always so hard to detect the exact cause! I was taking Bilberry as well, but don't especially suspect it.
    Thank you all for your feedback <3

See more popular forum discussions.