• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Should I be worried about my CTH mutation?

rs1021737(T;T)

The above CTH mutation states I have "significantly higher plasma total homocysteine concentration". I also have some hetero MTHFR mutations. My lab results a few weeks ago put my homocysteine plasma levels at 12.2 with the range of the lab being 0.0-15.0 umol/L.

Is 12.2 too high? Is this CTH mutation along with my MTHFR causing higher levels and possible issues with my health?

I have POTS and anxiety (due to all the adrenaline and tachycardia) btw....not sure if it's relevant but it's definitely got me more interested in my genetics.

Thanks!

barbc56

Is this from 23 and Me?

Unfortunately, the results of such tests are at best inconclusive. It's just a snippet of the whole picture of a person's health. There are so many factors such as lifestyle, age, where you live, access to healthcare as well as the interplay of genes, it's really hard to tell.

I am not a medical professional, so can't address your homocysteine plasma levels. What caught my eye is that I am getting the same set og bloodtests in the coming week.

It's an absolutely fascinating area of research and certainly has the potential of changing the way of looking at medicine.

Good luck!

Edit. Now I'm not sure if this is what I am being tested for. Does this test have anything to do with inflamation?

alicec

Here is a thread about that SNP. +/- is the same as -/- - ie no effect.

Depends on what the MTHFR SNPs are whether they have any effect. Here is a thread on that enzyme.

If your SNPS do anything I expect they would cause a small slowing of the enzyme - ie slower rate of donation of methylfolate to MTR and slower production of methionine. This might cause a little accumulation of homocysteine.

Many things affect homocysteine levels - and the contributors to POTS and anxiety are even more complex.

I wouldn't be worried about those SNPs but if the MTHFR SNPs do slow the enzyme it might be helpful to stimulate it with its cofactor B2 and try some methyl folate supplementation.

B6 supplementation might stimulate pathways downstream of homocysteine and help to reduce it.

Last edited: