• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Share your Taurine experiences (and I think i'm poisoning myself with the oral equivelent of 6 gm)

vision blue

You said: Hip, post: 1019657, member: 249"]
Can we discuss using scientific concepts:
.......MY REPLY: And can we discuss using reasoning not sound bytes?

You said: Whatever route of administration of a drug or supplement is used, it is the blood plasma levels of that drug or supplement that are the key factor. These blood levels are a measurable quantity.
........MY REPLY: This is not always true. Often it is not a good indicator of tissue levels.

You said: For example, this study found that when 4 grams of taurine was orally administered to 8 subjects, the average peak blood plasma level of taurine (known as the Cmax) that resulted was 86 mg per liter. That's how you measure how effective a given route of administration is, by how much of the substance appears in the blood.
If you want to compare oral with sublingual administration, then you would need to perform a study like the above which measured the peak plasma level after sublingual administration of a known dose.
..........MY REPLYT: If my lab were able to do so and I could afford to wait, it would sure be on the list of a zillion expts to do. In the absense of anyone having done it (and done it well in groups of people that can be generalized to me) , then reasoning from other examples and basic principles is the only option left. As i did say, it varies from compound to compund, and based on absorption of AAs in mucous membrane was and other data was reaching an inference.

You said:
If your statement were true, that there is a 10-fold difference, it would mean that you would get the same plasma levels from 100 mg of sublingual taurine as you would from 1,000 mg of oral taurine.
But unless you perform a study on this, you are not going to know whether this is the case or not. Unless there is supporting scientific evidence, it's not possible to compare oral to sublingual administration.
.........MYREPLY: "It's not possible" if the goal were to publish a paper in a peer reviewed journal. But if the goal is to estimate something you are doing anyway, a guesstimate based on known principles is better than a sheepish "I don't know".

Last edited by a moderator:

brenda

I have been eating vegan for a year but not doing so great for a month or so and thought l may need taurine. I have taken it four times, about 500mgs and so far so good. Feeling better.

vision blue

Yes, powder...and yes, we swallow it with water. It makes a weird burny feeling on the tongue.

That, along, with a few other things, seems to have cleared up my mom's PVCs. just a very small amount--maybe 20-50 microscopic particles on the spoon. It really works quickly too.

That's cool. Thanks. I know what you mean about the weird thing! when i put it under my tongue or hold against cheek or even just in my mouth, all of a sudden my mouth fills with fluid - and it feels a bit - different. But to me in a good way. i have so little saliva then i'm in amazement when this powder suddenly gives me a bunch. i'm too much of a chicken to try to swallow it since my esophagus seems to turn to ribbons at the slightest insult. but i'm sure some gets down there anyway. Yes, does ssem to work quickly. Intersting co q 10 helped you. I've treied a couple of times- onece i got dizzy, and once it made my gums really swell up and last a long time (but combined with lacto something). the taurine does not seem to be helping with my palpitations and am curious if my ekg will be identical.

vision blue

One can assume that sublingual transport across the mucus membrane is slow and while keeping 675mg in the mouth at least half gets diluted and washed down the digestive tract by salivation. And blood-levels - if it even turns out 10 times that of oral - still within the expected range of about 3g orally. Shown to be safe in the long term too.

Thanks. that's helpful. i guess it stays in saliva a "long tinme" even if I keep spitting and don't (conciously) swallow saliva for a few minutes after? Just curous how much getting in thru digestive track.
I wonder if that 3 grams should be weight dependent? I may be able thtough to do it just 3 or even 2 times a week and i think that will help alot. (according to one rat study, pulsed higher dose IV taurine has didfferent effects from low dose oral daily. )

Hip

But if the goal is to estimate something you are doing anyway, a guesstimate based on known principles is better than a sheepish "I don't know".

Fine to make wild guesses, but it's a good idea to make it clear they are guesses. Rather than making statements which are presented as if they are factual, but turn out not to be.

When I read your comment quoted below, I assumed this statement was based on some study or evidence, but apparently it's just a wild guess plucked out of the air.
I'm using powder meant for oral ingestion, but instead, i have it absorb thru my mucous membranes. Apparently though, if you do that, its like the equivelent of 10 times dose when you ingest it!

I don't doubt that you are experiencing some benefits from taurine. However, there appears to be no scientific basis for the statement that sublingual taurine is 10 times more effective than oral.

So I am pointing this out just ensure that people reading this thread will not be misguided.

Carl

By ml measure do you mean liquid? but scoops mean powder? curious how youre dosing.

intersting on balance. right now, i'm all over stimulated 100 percent of time, so I don't have to balance that yet til it comes down some.
It's powder. I measured it after reading your post and 3 averaged 1ml scoops worked out at 886mg/ml.

Hip

A simple "HOw did you come up with that estimate" would have gotten a simple answer and saved us both alot of time and effort.

First of all, you did not say the 10 times figure was your estimate; you said: "I'm using powder meant for oral ingestion, but instead, i have it absorb thru my mucous membranes. Apparently though, if you do that, its like the equivelent of 10 times dose when you ingest it!"

Thus I asked you where that 10 times figure came from, as I assumed there was a study or article that stated that figure (although I was dubious of the figure). Only then did I discover that you derived it yourself, by methods that I realized have no scientific basis.

They have no scientific basis because you cannot look at oral versus sublingual doses or supplements, and assume that because you find some supplement for sale having an oral dose that is X times bigger than the dose of some sublingual version of that supplement, that means the sublingual bioavailability is X times bigger than the oral.

So then I tried to explain how bioavailability is actually calculated in studies; but my efforts you consider "largely irrelevant speeches".

Last edited:

vision blue

The methods do have scientific basis- its based on comparison to studies that use hormones and other things from which one can generalize to taurine as best as possible-

Last edited by a moderator: