• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Sex Abuse and CFS Negative Correlation

Andrew

According to a web page I read, a 2001 study found that although sex abuse has a positive correlation with idiopathic chronic fatigue, it has a negative correlation with CFS. The article cited Taylor RR, et al. Sexual abuse, physical abuse, chronic fatigue, and chronic fatigue syndrome: a community-based study. J Nerv Ment Dis. Oct 2001;189(10):709-15.

At the University of Illinois in Chicago, researchers investigated the history of abuse and the correlation it has with CFS. They looked at childhood sexual, physical, and death threat abuse and the predictions of adulthood medical and psychiatric conditions, including chronic fatigue syndrome. They also examined suggestions that interpersonal abuse occurred in CFS patients. To examine the relationship between abuse and CFS, the researchers used Multinomial logistic regression. The outcome illustrated that sexual abuse was more common in patients with idiopathic chronic fatigue, relating to a psychiatric condition, and chronic fatigue explained by a medical condition, than it was common in healthy controls. The types of abuse did not directly predict the condition CFS. After a closer examination, the researchers found that significantly fewer CFS sufferers reported the abuse compared to controls.

BTW, the reason I am posting this is in case people want to counter the CDC information about this.

oerganix

reason for redefining CFS

According to a web page I read, a 2001 study found that although sex abuse has a positive correlation with idiopathic chronic fatigue, it has a negative correlation with CFS. The article cited Taylor RR, et al. Sexual abuse, physical abuse, chronic fatigue, and chronic fatigue syndrome: a community-based study. J Nerv Ment Dis. Oct 2001;189(10):709-15.

BTW, the reason I am posting this is in case people want to counter the CDC information about this.

And this is why Reeves et al needed to pollute and dilute the definition of CFS, so they could include those who really may be fatigued by depression, and avoid having to deal with all those other symptoms with organic causes. They want to include people who don't really have CFS in their definition so they can continue to muddy the water for those who do. :(