Phoenix Rising supports the Millions Missing global day of protest
Phoenix Rising is delighted to support the demands being made in the ME/CFS community’s first-ever global day of protest …
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Serine Cysteine Ratio: Psychosis?

Discussion in 'Neurological/Neuro-sensory' started by Jimbo39, Jul 29, 2016.

1. Jimbo39

Jimbo39 Senior Member

San Deigo, CA
    Plasma serine to cysteine ratio as a biological marker for psychosis.
    Waziri R, Wilson R, Sherman AD.
    Abstract
    In a study of plasma amino acids in psychiatric patients, serine to cysteine (S/C) ratio was higher (S/C = 1.57 +/- 0.28) in 57 psychotics compared to 27 nonpsychotics (S/C = 1.06 +/- 0.23). This difference was highly significant at P less than 0.001. Psychotic patients were given a psychosis score (p score) of 1-4. The S/C ratios of individual patients were significantly correlated to their p scores (r = 0.65, P less than 0.001). S/C ratios were not related to diagnosis, age, sex, food intake and medications. When the initial S/C ratio and p scores of 22 patients were compared to their S/C ratio and p score at the time when they were improved and ready to be discharged, there was a concomitant fall both in S/C ratios and p scores suggesting the high S/C ratios may be indicative of a state rather than a trait characteristic. Our findings lead us to the conclusion that S/C ratios may provide a marker for the presence of psychosis and an index of its severity.

My ratio is 4/1! tho I'm not sure if I'm comparing apples to apples since mine is a amino acid urine test. I've been taking NAC and have been feeling better. Could the cysteine be counteracting my high levels of serine?

cfs6691 likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.