• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Seeing new doctor in Thousand Oaks (So Cal)

Mary

Moderator Resource
My long-time nutritional doctor, Phillip Taylor (also in Thousand Oaks) died about 2 months ago. He was 84 (I thought he was late 70's), so I was fortunate he practiced as long as he did. I saw him for about 18 years. He couldn't help with the nuts and bolts of ME/CFS - PEM, low NK cell count and so on, but he was extremely knowledgable about nutrition and kept up on new things and was willing to let me try just about whatever I wanted. So I miss him and also have felt a little hopeless about replacing him.

And then I found Steven Tenenbaum MD, also in Thousand Oaks and he gets great reviews on-line. I was given his name by Women's International Pharmacy, a compounding pharmacy where I get progesterone cream, and his office uses that pharmacy. And he wrote a book about treating the thyroid. He uses bio-identical hormones and Naturethroid. Here's the book he wrote (which I have not read): https://www.amazon.com/Thyroid-Secrets-Youthful-Energy-Metabolism/dp/0974508713

So after trying to get through to someone at his office for two days, I finally got a call back tonight and have an appointment with a nurse practitioner a week from this Friday. I'm happy to get that appointment. From what I read on-line, I don't think Dr. Tenenbaum himself is taking new patients.

And, he takes straight Medicare! woo hoo! (no HMOs) I was given two names of potential doctors by Dr. Taylor's office but they both seemed to be very pricey and didn't take Medicare. And I think this guy just may be better, but if his office can at least keep me going with what Dr. Taylor has me on, I'll be happy. It's about an hour and 15 minute drive for me, doable though I will crash the next day, but it's worth it.

@Gingergrrl - I'm tagging you here because you were looking for a GP awhile ago, in case you're interested. I'll post how it goes with the NP --

Gingergrrl

@Gingergrrl - I'm tagging you here because you were looking for a GP awhile ago, in case you're interested. I'll post how it goes with the NP --

@Mary Thanks for tagging me and I ended up finding a local PCP who was very nice but I doubt I will see very frequently. He is not directly involved in my care but if I should need referrals or home health or something that requires a PCP, now I have one. But my ME/CFS doc and MCAS docs are truly my main doctors who provide my care. Please keep me posted and I want to hear how it goes.

My long-time nutritional doctor, Phillip Taylor (also in Thousand Oaks) died about 2 months ago.

Am so sorry to hear this and I know you were very connected with him from our prior conversations. Hoping your new doc is just as great.

So I miss him and also have felt a little hopeless about replacing him.

I can totally understand this and would be lost without the two docs I mentioned above.

So after trying to get through to someone at his office for two days, I finally got a call back tonight and have an appointment with a nurse practitioner a week from this Friday.

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: