• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Scientists Uncover Potential Treatment for Painful Diabetic Neuropathy

Glynis Steele

Scientists Uncover Potential Treatment for Painful Side Effect of Diabetes

I have added this here wondering whether the neuropathy that is sometimes suffered by ME/CFS patients could be similar. I would appreciate it if Rich would take a look at this one, though, as my understanding of this is pants :confused:. As some of you know, I like d-lactic stuff, which has been tenously linked to CFS patients. Wellllll, the compound that has been linked to Painful Diabetic Neuropathy (PDN) is called methylglyoxal, and my understanding of this compound in the body is that it is then converted to either D-lactate or L-lactate, so I am wondering whether this could be causing the neuropathy problems in ME patients, as symptoms of PDN are very similar, such as persistent pain which affects sleep, mood, mobility, heightened sensitivty to hot and cold, etc.

Anyway, here is a bit from the article, more at the link below.

ScienceDaily (May 13, 2012) — Why diabetics suffer from increased pain and temperature sensitivity is a step closer to being understood and effectively treated.
Painful diabetic neuropathy (PDN), which is abnormal and persistent pain experienced by roughly 50% of patients with diabetes, impairs patients' quality of life and affects sleep, mood, mobility, ability to work, relationships, self-esteem and independence.
The Warwick team of Dr Naila Rabbani and Professor Paul Thornalley have worked for 30 years on a reactive compound produced excessively from glucose in diabetes called methylglyoxal (MG). Professor Thornalley from the University of Warwick, explained: “MG appears to attack and modify a key protein in the nerve endings called ‘Nav 1.8’ causing nerves to become super-sensitive to pain and extremes of temperature. So diabetics typically develop a heightened sensitivity to hot and cold, accompanied with intense pain.
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2012/05/120513144533.htm