When the 'Holiday Season' Is No Holiday at all for Those With ME/CFS
Is December getting to you? Jody Smith shares some thoughts on some of the struggles that all too often attend this time of year ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Schizophrenia 'could be prevented by calming overactive immune system'

Discussion in 'Other Health News and Research' started by natasa778, Oct 16, 2015.

1. natasa778

natasa778 Senior Member

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/hea...nted-by-calming-overactive-immune-system.html

ahmo, Antares in NYC, merylg and 6 others like this.
  2. Sidereal

Sidereal Senior Member

http://ajp.psychiatryonline.org/doi/abs/10.1176/appi.ajp.2015.14101358

Link to the original study. Is this the same PET technique that was used in the Japanese study to detect microglial activation in ME?

ahmo, aimossy, merylg and 1 other person like this.
  3. paolo

paolo Senior Member

Italy
    The ligand used in the study by Nakatomi et al. in patients with CFS seems to be different from the one used in this interesting study in psychosis. Nevertheless, I guess that these two studies are similar, as they both give an evaluation of microglia activation through the measure of concentration of the ligand in the brain.

I've always thought that negative symptoms described in Schizophrenia (poor concentration, fatigue, cognitive decline) are similar -if not identical- to some features of CFS. On the other hand positive symptoms that define psychosis (delusions, paranoia) are rare or absent in CFS.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2015
    searcher, natasa778, ahmo and 2 others like this.
  4. ahmo

ahmo Senior Member

Northcoast NSW, Australia
    Thanks for this interesting article. I have AG on that snp listed. 7 or 8 years ago I had a toxic psychosis. It built over a couple weeks. As I've come to understand more about methylation, I attributed it primarily to the glutathione I'd been taking in the form of denatured whey. This was a part of Teitelbaum's suggestions, which appear to be mostly about energizing a fatigued body. I also ate gluten, sulfur, high histamine, things I now know are toxic for me. My brain would have been on fire. I guess I can count myself very lucky that schizophrenia was not my fate. (Nor MS, which 2 close relations had)

natasa778 likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.