• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Role of angiotensin receptors in inflammatory diseases and implications for treatment

Jenny

This paper is not just about cancer but is relevant to understanding the role of angiotensin receptors in inflammation. It suggests the use of AT1 receptor antagonists in treating inflammatory and autoimmune disorders.

http://www.journal-inflammation.com/content/1/1/3

I understand very little of it, but what's interesting is that the type of drugs it suggests include olmesartan (Benicar) which is used in the Marshall protocol. Has anyone experimented with Benicar without doing the whole Vit D avoidance thing?

From a review of the current disease literature, it has been demonstrated that the role of AT1 and AT2 in inflammation is not limited to cancer-associated inflammation, but is generally consistent and system wide. Potential therapy by manipulation of these receptors, although at an early stage, has been demonstrated for some of these diseases and it is proposed that this approach will provide an effective basis for the treatment of autoimmune, inflammatory and neurodegenerative disorders using existing drugs. AT1 receptor blockade should, in addition, provide a treatment to alleviate the damage caused by bacterial and viral infections, where their destructive action is through chronic inflammation. Given the importance of the immune suppressant effect of inflammation in cancer, it is anticipated that AT1 blockade should also serve to elicit a more effective immune response to other invaders that seek to corrupt the wound recovery process.

Manipulation of the AT1 and AT2 receptors has profound and exciting implications in the control of disease.

Jenny

Chris

those ARBs...

Hi, Jenny, thanks for a very interesting reference. But I am a little wary--the conflict of interest (honestly declared) is strong, and it is odd that the paper says so very little about the manipulation of blood pressure and its effects, which is the main reason for which ACE and ARB inhibitors are prescribed.

Cheney warns against ARBs in "The Heart of the Matter, " noting that the functions of the AT 2 receptors are not fully understood. I have periodic spikes of high blood pressure, and a cardiologist put me on a high dose of Cozaar, an ARB, in August 2008. That certainly controlled my BP, but by November I was almost a zombie, and had to cut down my dose, and finally switched to an ACE inhibitor, then to a simple diuretic, and finally none of the above.

So certainly a story to be watched, but with caution, I think, and if you find a doc to prescribe them watch both your blood pressure and your general state with great care! Chris