• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Results for Lyme...

physicsstudent13

do you think tinidazole destroys the inner ear fluid or is ototoxic or destroys hearing? I'm losing my hearing from something, maybe it was gentamicin
some doctors recommend a pulse dosing of 3 days or 1 day a week on tinidazole, I've been on it about a week so maybe I should stop?

physicsstudent13

I don't know if it's even accurate to call this a herx reaction from tinidazole I started having terrible neurological problems, I couldn't pronounce words and my vision became blurry and I lost hearing
is it true if you take too many of these antibiotics you will eventually run out of ones that are effective?

@Thinktank by the way there are more recent antibiotics in the tetracycline class I wonder why KDLM doesn't prefer those? anyway I'm sure he knows vastly more than I do and Sushi reports good improvements on his treatments

@Hanna I'm thinking of starting rifampicin+isoniazid at least for 7 days but I heard they can cause severe liver damage eventually but people have been on these drugs for a year for TB

Last edited:

Hanna

@physicsstudent13 I have no experience with Rifampicine and isoniazid. I am in contact with two people from Lyme forum in France who struggle with Rifampicine now. One has awful psycho/neuro side-effects and warns again that drug.
Hubby has prescribed it without pblems from his patients- but ME patients are a different cohort. So, please be careful, if you have experimented frightening and extreme side-effects like what you described in your latest post, you should be monitored by a skilled doc.

Hanna

I understand your will to get a treatment. I am also atucked with this illness for nearly 17 years and was fired in 1998 because of beeing ill. I don't know anything in pneumology. Just one thing : ME patients are very sensitive. Be prudent.'primum non nocere'.

Antares in NYC

They've shown that a large proportion (about half?) of people bitten by a tick 6+ weeks prior had antibodies to it, so it definitely gets transmitted. All of the researchers who commented on the subject of ongoing infection indicated that it was unlikely that such a commonly and easily detected antibody reaction would occur if the bacteria hadn't been actively replicating in the patients.

So nothing conclusive yet that I've seen, but some strong indications.
I find these initial studies on Midichloria mitochondrii quite fascinating, and make me wonder if it's the actual missing link that makes Lyme a seasonal nuisance for some, and a disabling chronic disease for others. I mean, anything that would eat away at the mitochondria and leave the cell an empty husk is worth further research.
"They seem to get in between the inner and outer mitochondrial membranes and eat the mitochondria up. In the end you've just got this empty sack."

http://www.the-scientist.com/?articles.view/articleNo/24528/title/Use-the-force--bacteria/

Last edited:

Antares in NYC

I agree, @Antares in NYC, this is fascinating stuff. Do we know if it is specific to ixodes ricinus ticks, or if it is in others like i. scapularis?
I'm not sure if it's only specific to that species, Duncan, but the fact that this new microbe is known to eat away the cellular mitochondria (the "motor" of the cell) just keeps me thinking.

One of the main effects of Lyme is mitochondrial dysfunction...

Lyme: Inflammation, Oxidative Stress, and Mitochondrial Dysfunction