Severe ME Day of Understanding and Remembrance: Aug. 8, 2017
Determined to paper the Internet with articles about ME, Jody Smith brings some additional focus to Severe Myalgic Encephalomyelitis Day of Understanding and Remembrance on Aug. 8, 2017 ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Reliable before/after ME/CFS responses for research purposes

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS Discussion' started by Wishful, Dec 6, 2017.

1. Wishful

Wishful Senior Member

I've been thinking that one thing that the researchers should really want are patients with a reliable before/after response to a trigger. For example, if <certain food> reliably triggers significant brainfog and fever 14.5 hrs later, a blood sample before and after would hopefully show clear changes that would identify the metabolic process involved. The researchers probably have enough examples of exercise-induced PEM, but maybe some others would help. It seems to me that one reliable before/after sample set might be more useful than sampling hundreds of patients at random times.

I respond reliably and positively (reduces symptoms) to T2 (every 21 days). I haven't done extensive testing on peroxynitrite scavengers, but they seem to reliably make my symptoms much worse. Cumin seems to block PEM, but I'm still testing the reliability and dosage/duration etc. LDN blocks perceived muscle aches, but I think that's a secondary symptom, so probably not all that useful for research.

If some researchers thought it would be useful, I'd be willing to visit the local lab and have samples taken and shipped.

If there are any researchers reading this, is this something that would be useful?

Mel9 and Countrygirl like this.
  2. Countrygirl

Countrygirl Senior Member

UK
    @Wishful It might be useful to give your approximate location if you are offering to visit a local lab. :):thumbsup:

Mel9 likes this.
  3. Jesse2233

Jesse2233 Senior Member

Southern California
    it's a great idea, Dr Younger is doing something similar with his good days / bad days study

Mel9 likes this.
  4. Wishful

Wishful Senior Member

Countrygirl, the point of visiting a local lab and having the samples shipped is so that it doesn't matter how far it is to the lab that actually tests the samples. I'm in Alberta, and I've had samples taken and shipped elsewhere before, so it's quite possible. It would probably help if the OMF, for example, sent a letter to show the doctor, saying it was for ME/CFS research.

I was just thinking that this would be something very helpful for researchers. There should be people here with suitable before/after responses. Having a list of them here should be useful for researchers. It might even help people here, knowing what affects others. I was going to send an email to OMF, but thought I'd post here first to see if there were other people with other, maybe better, responses.

Mel9 likes this.
  5. Wishful

Wishful Senior Member

It might help if any researchers here would say what they would like in a test subject. Measurable symptoms, rapid response, etc. I'm only guessing what would be useful.

6. andyguitar

andyguitar Senior Member

South east England
    What I would like to see is a clinical trial of 2 groups. One stops all treatment other carries on with whatever they are taking. Would'nt be possible to include patients who are on some types of medication the stopping of which might be dangerous. A heretical idea to many I suppose.

See more popular forum discussions.