May 12, 2017 Is International ME/CFS and FM Awareness Day
International ME/CFS and FM Awareness Day is May 12th, 2017. Jody Smith shares some information about upcoming events and ways you can be heard ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

refeeding syndrome

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS Discussion' started by sunshine44, Dec 7, 2018.

1. sunshine44

sunshine44

can someone give me some info that isn't super complicated or point me in right direction please and thank you?

jesse's mom and katurian like this.
  2. Mary

Mary Moderator

Southern California
    @sunshine44 - I think this article is pretty good: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2440847/
    It defines refeeding syndrome as:
    I don't fit into any of the categories they mention as being at risk for refeeding syndrome. However, I have experienced symptoms of refeeding syndrome when my potassium levels tanked after starting methylfolate. Rather sudden and potentially severe drops in potassium are very common in persons who are deficient in B12 and/or folate, who start taking the B12 and/or folate.

I also had my phosphorous levels drop after starting thiamine. The thiamine initially boosted my energy quite a bit, but it was followed a day or 2 later by severe fatigue, which I was able to determine was caused by hypophosphatemia - the fatigue lifted after I drank several glasses of kefir, which is high in phosphorous.

jesse's mom likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.