• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

RDAs for housebound people - are they different?

Sasha

Fine, thank you
I am mostly housebound and take in about 1,300 kCals/day. This is probably about 2/3 of the normal intake for a woman. I'm wondering if this relatively low calorie need and hence food intake means that normal RDAs of nutrients don't apply to me (or others in my position).

I've been working out how much potassium and magnesium I'm taking in through my diet (to keep safe on Freddd's b12 protocol) and my intake is about half the RDA. I'm assuming this is a bad thing and that I should be looking to supplement. But am I wrong? :confused:

Any views?

Sasha

Fine, thank you
As an indication, I'm getting 2,000mg potassium (RDA 4,700mg); 200mg calcium (RDA 1,200mg); and 180mg Mg (RDA 320mg). :eek:

The calcium is probably relatively low because I don't eat dairy.