International ME/CFS and FM Awareness Day Is On May 12, 2018
Thomas Hennessy, Jr., selected May 12th to be our international awareness day back in 1992. He knew that May 12th had also been the birthday of Florence Nightingale. She was the English army nurse who helped to found the Red Cross as well as the first school of nursing in the world.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

RA Anyone?

Discussion in 'Pain and Inflammation' started by klynn52, Apr 28, 2018.

1. klynn52

klynn52

Hi all

Long term diagnosis of cfs/me. Diagnosed in 1992.
    I posted a while back about my symptom change ,from 2009 to present.

New symptoms with the usual fatigue problems or some times lack of fatigue problems were-
    Brain fog/mental fatigue/concentration/memory/recall/learning tasks
    Speech problems/slurred speech
    Crushing pain in feet/toes
    Muscle pain/stiffness
    Heaviness in legs ,such that I found it more difficult to lift my feet when walking
    Various pains/sensations like numbness, pins and needles ,cramps, tremors,
    balance problems, crushing pain and problems with hot .cold and having problems with keeping warm ,insomnia and very poor sleep ,fatigue and sudden onset fatigue which just levelled me.

I have just recently been diagnosed with RA ,Rheumatoid Arthritis after just one flare-up.
    Has anyone else got this with CFS/ME and do the symptom changes sound familiar to anyone in relation to the RA?

Could the RA have been the cause of the change in symptoms but only just recently materialised?

I understand that you can get PEM after activity but mine were permanent or is that more in keeping with CFS and not ME.

Cheers
    klynn

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 29, 2018
    ebethc and alkt like this.
  2. Shoshana

Shoshana Northern USA

Northern USA
    Hi @klynn52
    I do not know the answers to your questions, but I am interested in the topics you raised,
    and I have sometimes wondered about RA, in my case.
    I wonder how they diagnosed you with it, "after just one flare-up ? "
    And which type of doctor gave that dx?

I am sorry you have had these worsening symptoms, for the recent several years.

You said they are permanent, so did not go away,
    but have they remained at a consistent level, or worsened over that time?

And are some of the symptoms intermittent, or were they intermittent for the first couple of years they became permanent additions to your illness? Such as the pain in feet/toes ?

I would appreciate your input. Thank you.

Take care.

alkt likes this.
  3. klynn52

klynn52

Hi Shoshana
    Thanks for your reply and interest.
    I had symptoms of really bad pain and stiffness in feet ,toes ,top of foot and foot pads on both feet, which added to the problems I had with walking due to muscle pain and stiffness and balance issues and fatigue.

I also had wrist pain ,hand pain and finger pain ,stiff knuckles and pain and some swelling of the wrist and index finger. The pain was worse
    on waking,very sore to walk on and the hand pain during rest got quite bad ,due to I assume ,to not being moved .I had the symptoms from November 2017 to April 2018.

Blood tests showed high inflammation markers ,hand x rays showed Osteopenia.
    A visit to a Rheumatologist showed high inflammation activity around the joints of wrists ,fingers ,toes and ankles but no bone damage, ultra sound scans.
    Further x rays all so show no bone damage, yet.
    I was given a steroid injection and put on a DMARD,to slow down the auto immune system, to prevent damage to the bones.
    klynn

Shoshana and alkt like this.
  4. ebethc

ebethc Senior Member

@klynn52

I have not been dx w RA, but I have always had terrible joint pain and stiffness.... The only thing that helps is Wobenzym... It's really been a wonder supplement for me.. Have you tried it? Go read the reviews on AMZN.. It's pricey, especially b/c I require a high dose, but you can order it, try it, and send it back if it doesn't work.. there's another product called Vascuzyme by Ortho Molecular that has the same ingredients but is higher quality, but it's also higher priced..

2nd, there's no shortage of dietary recommendations for immune patients, so you've probably read about them.. this is an interesting story re immunity & diet that I've read lately... http://mikhailapeterson.com/about-me/

See more popular forum discussions.