The 12th Invest in ME Research Conference June, 2017, Part 2
MEMum presents the second article in a series of three about the recent 12th Invest In ME International Conference (IIMEC12) in London.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Question re D Mannose

Discussion in 'Gastrointestinal and Urinary' started by bertiedog, Sep 1, 2016.

1. bertiedog

bertiedog Senior Member

South East England, UK
    I had a very nasty UTI in June of this year and needed Keflex as it was E Coli. Originally given Trimetheporine for a week but they found the bugs were resistant and it did nothing I ended up with severe pain which would stop me from sleeping.

Since then I have been having symptoms on and off of an irritated bladder and was warned this might happen. I didn't want to take anymore antibiotics for obvious reasons as I always have too many bad bugs whenever I have done a stool test through Genova. Therefore I have opted to take quite high doses of D Mannose as instructed by the Waterfall people. It has been 2 grams about 5 times a day.

However I have developed quite bad bowel symptoms, bloating, lots of rumbling and rolling and feel quite uncomfortable. Yesterday I think I had a bit of a tummy bug because I didn't feel well and haven't felt great today though I am no longer having to go to the toilet frequently.

My question is if you have taken D Mannose did you find it upset your bowels? I do feel there is a connection because when I took it a month ago I had some problem with yeasts. If this is the case then I am wondering what I can do to clear the UTI. At the moment it isn't showing up as an infection when tested but I am still getting some mild burning from time to time.

Pam

2. Cheesus

Cheesus Senior Member

UK
    Do you have SIBO?

3. bertiedog

bertiedog Senior Member

South East England, UK
    I think it is highly likely as I responded to a course of Rimfaxamin and it was suggested in the G I Effects profile. I don't have a doctor to guide me at the moment apart from my GP who isn't in to alternatives to drugs.

Pam

4. Mary

Mary Moderator

Southern California
    Hi @bertiedog - yeah, if you read about the side effects of d-mannose (generally in high doses), you'll see it can cause the bloating etc. you experienced.

I used to be prone to UTIs - I think because one of my kidneys had some sort of problem, I had chronic kidney pain for years but testing didn't reveal anything. Anyways, several years ago I started taking a cranberry supplement daily and it has helped a lot (and my kidney rarely hurts now also). My last UTI was a couple of years ago. This is what I take - I take sort of a high dose (6 softegels a day, two 3 x a day): http://www.swansonvitamins.com/swanson-premium-cranberry-180-sgels

I also think drinking water with lemon juice can help. I know it helps cleanse the liver and gallbladder but I also think it's beneficial for the kidneys. I did read that it can be irritating for interstitial cystitis, but helpful for UTIs.

5. bertiedog

bertiedog Senior Member

South East England, UK
    Thanks @Mary for your helpful post, I will give this a try. I do have some cranberry tablets here and did start taking them but probably not high enough dose.

Pam

Mary likes this.
  6. Mary

Mary Moderator

Southern California
    I hope this helps! Also, I take them every day, without fail. Hopefully you wouldn't have to do that for too long, but I think I need it because of my poor kidney which I think needs the support. Like I said, it's much better, but it still lets me know it's there from time to time ...

7. bertiedog

bertiedog Senior Member

South East England, UK
    I think I might have found that the different brands of D Mannose do make a big difference with regard to the source of the product. I am saying this having taken one dose of 3 gms of Sweet Cures new lemon Manninose powder in 150 ml of water. It didn't taste particularly sweet at all wheras the 1 gm tablets I had been taking from an on-line company advertising on Amazon appeared to be exceptionally sweet, almost a sickly sweet smell to them.

The Sweet Cures product is probably almost twice the price but hopefully it will be worth it. Definitely the actual D Mannose has been helpful with the symptoms of an inflamed bladder so I do want to carry on for another 3 weeks.

Pam

See more popular forum discussions.