• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

PROOF POSITIVE ? (REVISITED)

Nielk

Of importance is that – despite glowing reports of the PACE trial’s claimed success -- two major institutions in the US have gone on record stating their concerns about the interventions used in the PACE trial: the Centres for Disease Control (CDC) has archived its toolkit that recommended CBT and GET as interventions for ME/CFS (http://www.cdc/gov/cfs/toolkit/archived/html)..

It is true that the CDC took down their toolkit from their website, but CBT and GET are still recommended in their management of the disease section - http://www.cdc.gov/cfs/management/index.html

Options for Treating and Managing CFS
The good news is there are many options to help patients manage CFS and improve their quality of life:

Treating the Most Disruptive Symptoms First
  • Fatigue and sleep problems
  • Pain
  • Memory and concentration problems
  • Depression and anxiety
  • Dizziness and light-headedness
Monitoring the Use of All Medicines and Supplements
  • Over-the-counter and prescription medicines
  • Nutritional and herbal supplements
Managing Activities and Exercise
  • Avoiding extremes
  • Developing an activity program
  • Modifying exercises for extremely ill patients
Improving Health and Quality of Life
  • Cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT)
  • Support groups
  • Professional counseling

Yogi

He was born in November 1952: aged only 64, he suddenly retired from clinical practice just before he was compelled by an order of the court to release the raw data from the PACE trial, so any investigation by the General Medical Council for alleged professional misconduct is unlikely to be pursued, but is he guilty of misfeasance in public office?

Can somebody please (hopefully Dr Edwards or Dr Shepherd) tell me WHY????????
Can somebody tell me WHY the GMC have not done anything about him to this date.????

What is the point of the GMC if they cannot investigate Peter White who has caused more harm than any other doctor in the UK.

I also cannot find Peter White on the GMC register? I have always tried to find it but never found him registered. Can anyone find this?

http://www.gmc-uk.org/doctors/register/LRMP.asp

eafw

The effectiveness of the ME lobby reflects its middle-class base.

Like... this sounds like an incredibly English thing to say, but... What does this even mean??? :confused:

I think they are trying to leverage several biases, not suprising as they are quite obvious manipulators (look at the fuss White is now making about patient "consent") It's buzz words to provoke a reaction.

First set of biases is around the ridiculous situation we have with class in the UK whereby the "working class" are valorised as heroic and "real" (when it suits) and the middle classes are to be sneered at, as somehow being above themselves. Good way to set people against each other as everyone scrambles to be a true "man of the people" and not like those awful "middle class" folk !

And then adding to this we have the stereotype of middle-class women especially, as being frivolous, neurotic and uninformed, and having nothing better to do with their time and money than sit around imagining illnesses and engaging in annoying campaigns - just like all those hysterical and do-gooder Victorian ladies and a bunch of soppy milquetoast men did.

It's an appeal to bigotry and emotional hang-ups. Same kind of tactics as the vexatious and harrasment myths they peddle.

Last edited:

Glycon

World's Most Dangerous Hand Puppet
I think they are trying to leverage several biases...

It's an appeal to bigotry and emotional hang-ups. Same kind of tactics as the vexatious and harrasment myths they peddle.

Yeah, I get that this type of stereotypes is what they were attempting to invoke, but that is sort of self-contradictory given that the statement is about "effectiveness". :)

eafw

Yeah, I get that this type of stereotypes is what they were attempting to invoke, but that is sort of self-contradictory given that the statement is about "effectiveness". :)

What they are after is a way to dismiss the campaign - "oh, those people with ME have no real basis for their complaint - people are only paying them attention because they're "middle class"" (remember the yuppie flu thing as well ?). None of this needs to to be internally consistent to provoke the "boo, middle-classes, ewww" response either.