• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Prof. Ron Davis: A glimpse into his London IIME18 talk :)

Ben H

OMF Volunteer Correspondent
OMF%20End%20MECFS%20logo%20.jpg

A Glimpse into My London Talk

Dear Friends,

I prepared this statement for Ashley Haugen to read yesterday at the Western Massachusetts Department of Public Health screening of Unrest. This is new information from the Severely ill Patient Study (SIPS) that I also presented in London:

We have made considerable progress in analyzing the data from the severely ill patient study. This has taken some time because we have only had one bioinformatic scientist analyzing the massive amount of data.

We have found that there are a considerable number of mutations that are more common in ME/CFS patients than in healthy controls. This would suggest that these mutations make a patient more susceptible to having ME/CFS. It could also indicate that some of the mutations are responsible for the severity of the patients we studied. We also see a large number of metabolomic changes that have been previously seen in less severe patients.

These metabolomic differences between healthy controls and our severely ill patients are often much bigger than in studies with less severe patients. A more detailed analysis of this data may aid us in developing treatments.

One area we are currently studying using the genetic and metabolomic data is the possibility there may be one or more metabolic traps. This is a metabolic state that a patient can develop, possibly caused by physical stress such as infection. Once a patient is in this state they cannot easily get out by rest.

We are conducting system biology and pathway analysis that shows that a metabolic trap is possible, and that some of the observed mutations make it more likely. If this is the case we should be able to push the patients out of this state by a specific metabolic intervention. We are very hopeful that this could be a one time treatment, take only a few days, and be relative inexpensive.

Sending greetings from London,
Rons%20signature%20just%20Ron%20%28002%29.png

Ronald W. Davis, PhD
Director, OMF ME/CFS Scientific Advisory Board
Director, Stanford Genome Technology Center

www.omf.ngo

@Janet Dafoe (Rose49) @AshleyHalcyoneH

Last edited:

Mary

Moderator Resource
We are conducting system biology and pathway analysis that shows that a metabolic trap is possible, and that some of the observed mutations make it more likely. If this is the case we should be able to push the patients out of this state by a specific metabolic intervention. We are very hopeful that this could be a one time treatment, take only a few days, and be relative inexpensive.
I know this is a big if, but we can dream, can't we? :nerd: (what other medical researchers are concerned about making a life-changing therapy inexpensive?)

Tally

but I'm also really interested to learn more about the common mutations that appear to relate to propensity toward ME/CFS.

Me too.

I was a fetus when Chernobyl happened, but was in the area that received low dose radiation. I still wonder if that could have caused some of the mutations, or if they're herediatary.

Too bad medical community completely failed to track ME/CFS and all we have are wild estimates of ME/CFS prevalence.

perrier

Me too.

I was a fetus when Chernobyl happened, but was in the area that received low dose radiation. I still wonder if that could have caused some of the mutations, or if they're herediatary.

Too bad medical community completely failed to track ME/CFS and all we have are wild estimates of ME/CFS prevalence.
Where were you conceived, in Belarus, or in Ukraine?

Tally

Where were you conceived, in Belarus, or in Ukraine?

Neither. Belarus and Ukraine has much higher levels of radiation than the rest of Europe. My country only got low dose. But birth defects were present all the way to UK.

wastwater

Radiation seems an obvious candidate could it better explain cluster outbreaks as well by creating an immunodeficiency
My grandparents were possibly around nuclear testing maybe this affected genes

GWS is another radiation candidate maybe reactions to vaccines were due to radiation effecting genes rather than vaccines being faulty

Last edited: