• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Possible to test for phenol sensitivity?

chilove

Hello all,

I've been struggling a lot with food sensitivities and intolerances and am suspecting that I may be sensitive to a whole group of foods. The first thing I'm suspecting is phenols because I eat a lot of fruits and veggies.

Does anyone know if there is a way to test for phenol sensitivity?

Thanks so much!

Audrey

alex3619

Only a challenge test will be effective at testing for sensitivities. Phenol can be purchases as disinfectant. Have someone buy some for you and dilute a small amount in a large quantity of water, then take a small sample. Do NOT swallow it but apply it to a thin area of skin such as inside the risk. That should do it - HOWEVER this is a very risky thing to do. You have no way of knowing how you may react. I do not advise it.

Once mechanisms are understood though we can use those. Phenol is chemically very similar to salicylates. If you are salicylate sensitive you are likely to be phenol sensitive. Testing for salicylate sensitivity can be done through elimination diets and food provocations.

Yet salicylate sensitivity is closely tied to glutathione depletion. If you have oxidative stress and low glutathione levels you are at high risk for salicylate sensitivity, which puts you at high risk for phenol sensitivity. One simple way to test for oxidative stress is to measure your serum vitamin E levels. Its a substitute, for a substitute, for a substitute for testing for phenol sensitivity, so its accuracy may not be great, but its an important thing to know. MOST of us are vitamin E deficient I think, unless we supplement. Its worth knowing if you are one of those deficient in vitamin E.

Bye, Alex