• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Ponting's plan to replicate Mark Davis’s remarkable Me/CFS immune activation findings (Simon's blog)

Simon

Full blog

A team led by Edinburgh University’s Professor Chris Ponting has won funding for a PhD student who would follow up and expand on remarkable recent findings made at Stanford University where Dr Mark Davis may have pinpointed a major issue in the immune system in ME/CFS.

Last year, Davis produced strong evidence of T cell clonal expansion, similar to that seen in illnesses including multiple sclerosis and acute Lyme disease. His discovery came from a new and sophisticated way of looking at the immune system in ME/CFS, that revealed the strongest evidence yet for immune activation in this disease. These results could indicate autoimmunity or a response to infection in ME/CFS, and could point to the core problem in the disease.

250px-healthy_human_t_cell.jpg

Human T cell (photo: NIAID)
So if the results of the PhD work are as hoped then they could narrow down the cause of ME/CFS for some patients. The ultimate aim is for this research to form part of a concerted effort that provides affordable diagnostic tests and targets for treatment.

The PhD will be based at Ponting’s Computational and Disease Genomics lab in Edinburgh. The £90,000 cost of the PhD will be jointly funded by Action for ME and the Scottish Government’s Chief Scientist’s Office. Samples from patients will be provided by the UK ME/CFS Biobank, subject to a successful full application to the Biobank.

Ponting has drawn in impressive collaborators for this project: senior immunologist Professor Georg Höllander from Oxford University and molecular biologist Dr Lia Chappell from the prestigious Wellcome Sanger Institute. I am pleased to say that I have also been involved with this study from the outset and the successful PhD candidate will engage with more patients as the project gets underway.

Read more