• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Pins and Needles...in my face?

Hey all, I'm still very new at this (both having a chronic illness and the rabbit hole of symptoms and diagnoses), so any thoughts or advice are taken gratefully. I'm really just looking for some insight or context in which to describe this symptom. It's very odd- I'll describe it here to the best of my ability.

The sensation is something like vertigo, or head rush. I will be walking, or moving, or sitting down, and all of a sudden I'll have a feeling like pins and needles in my face and the back of my head right at the top of my neck. Sometimes it feels as though my eyes un-focus and then snap back into focus. It's very abrupt, and I haven't noticed any specific pattern to the sensation yet; it happens perhaps more often as it becomes later in the day and into the evening, generally more so with movement but not in the way that head rush always accompanies standing up quickly.

I've been to a neurologist and an ophthalmologist and neither could find anything physiologically wrong. It doesn't seem to be an inner ear thing, I've had some tachycardia on-and-off in the past but not recently and not accompanying this particular sensation. Any ideas?