• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Peroxynitrite: Scavenging for Survival

alex3619

There isn't a lot in this presentation. Its a brief theoretical discussion culminating in some properties that might be important in agents to fight ONOO or peroxynitrite. So there isn't much here of interest. Marty Pall is one of the people researching this, a recent book on acquired mitochondrial disorders discusses it, and I think Maes has done some research on it. All in all this presentation is only really useful for someone into the biochemistry with little use for patients.

Having said that I did learn a couple of things, like peroxynitrite has a half-life of about one second, which means every second half of it is gone. However we keep making more. It disappears because, in most cases, it destroys something. Its a very dangerous molecule.

Another interesting point is a class of enzymes called porphyrins has a high capacity to elimate peroxynitrite.

Bye, Alex