• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

paraventricular nucleus

Mohawk1995

Which seems to describe two responses: one to perceived (ie. psychological) threat and one to real (ie. physical) stress. They are quite different HPA responses. It has been cited over 300 times, so must be robust? I'd be interested in your thoughts.

Although I have a basic knowledge of Hypothalamus, PVN and Endocrine functions, my functional knowledge of how this looks when it plays out is that there could also be a third response. The third would be to "interpreted" stress. Not a "perceived psychological threat" nor a "real physical threat" but a "neurophysiological interpreted threat". Meaning that the nervous system's response is a false positive (not a conscious or psychological one!). A central processing error if you will. There would also be the likelihood that you could have a combination of any or all three occurring. This could explain the ME process as initiating with a Real Physical Threat Response (Viral infection as an example) moving into a Neurophysiological Interpreted Threat Response (the threat alert stays on after the initial viral infection has run its course) and also a Perceived Psychological Threat Response (to the natural emotional and psychological stress of being significantly ill and limited in energy, physical and cognitive abilities).

The question then comes, how to turn off these responses. @heapsreal I agree that if we are chasing the treatment of the biochemical and hormonal after effects of the responses, we stand little chance of "curing" the disease. We might though make it much more livable. But if we can somehow get to the root mechanism and shut it off (or restore the desired state) at the Hypothalamus, Endocrine, PVN or HPA axis level, we stand a chance at seeing vast improvements in the treatment of this disease.