• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

PACE trial: fraud or incompetence?

Molly98

I am the one who made the comment in the article and to which Steven Lubet replied to. and I used my full real name that is so rare there is only one of me in the world :D

i mentioned fraud because this is what it feels like. It was (still is) deceit, and they keep on covering up and pretending the emperor is still fully clothed.

When there is fraud, there are cheaters and there are victims. The cheaters should know better. They are university professors. They are physicians. They are supposed to be professionals whom society trust. You trust they were doing the right thing. But then upon examination of this trial, they didn't play by the books. They discarded or opted out of objective measurements. They changed entry criteria. They picked patients who didn't have CFS to start with. They let confidential records in an unlocked cabinets and these records were stolen. They told patients mid trial that CBT and GET were superior to other interventions through a newsletter. They voted themselves as experts for Cochrane reviews and since they are the authors of this 'magnificient':bang-head: paper, confirmed that CBT and GET were the only and most effective treatments for CFS. They are now testing CBT and GET on children, for crying out loud. The very same group of physicians have refused to attend ME international conferences and debate their paper findings with our medical experts who see and research patients with ME on a daily basis. They continue their ideological warfare and refuse to admit any wrongdoings despite their own data, shared by court order, telling a very different story.

Steven Lubet may think that fraud was a strong word. After all, he is a law professor. I respect that. I doubted myself for writing such strong word using my full, rare name. But I have a right to my opinion. And from my experience, from astute detective work from @Tom Kindlon, David Tuller, Carolyn Wilshire, Alem Matthees and others, I have the opinion that it is fraud, and that millions of patients from around the world are victims of this fraud. We are all entitled to an opinion, and I will stand by what I said.

@Kati, you can not be accused of not knowing your stuff and you explain your reasons very well and I could not agree more with your opinion. Is fraud really such a strong word? or no go word? I don't think so, certainly not in this case. We are the victims of these peoples harmful and deceitful actions, we have every right to call it this.

You don't need to spend 1/4 of a million pounds desperately trying to stop data and information being released if you have nothing to hide. Nor do you need a smear campaign in the media against the very patients your research is on. There have been so many cover ups and so much political maneuvering. It certainly feels like one big con from where I am sitting.

Everything was very deliberately done to achieve the results that would justify their beliefs and treatments. They still didn't get the results they wanted so they changed the goal post.

Even then the results were pretty poor so they went on a media campaign to big them up used words such as cured and recovered and talked as though all ME patients could be cured by these treatments if they only tried and accepted them where even their conflated results showed no such thing.

Who have been the sole benefactors of this study? Them. Well perhaps also DWP and insurance companies.

Who has it affected adversely? Those of us with ME.

Last edited:

Kati

Patient in training
@Kati, you can not be accused of not knowing your stuff and you explain your reasons very well and I could not agree more with your opinion. Is fraud really such a strong word? or no go word? I don't think so, certainly not in this case. We are the victims of these peoples harmful and deceitful actions, we have every right to call it this.

You don't need to spend 1/4 of a million pounds desperately trying to stop data and information being released if you have nothing to hide. Nor do you need a smear campaign in the media against the very patients your research is on. There have been so many cover ups and so much political maneuvering. It certainly feels like one big con from where I am sitting.

Everything was very deliberately done to achieve the results that would justify their beliefs and treatments. They still didn't get the results they wanted so they changed the goal post.

Even then the results were pretty poor so they went on a media campaign to big them up used words such as cured and recovered and talked as though all ME patients could be cured by these treatments if they only tried and accepted them where even their conflated results showed no such thing.

Who have been the sole benefactors of this study? Them. Well perhaps also DWP and insurance companies.

Who has it affected adversely? Those of us with ME.

And then it begs the questions:

1)who benefits?
- the authors
- the universities's reputation
- the governments
- the insurance companies

2) What is at stake?
- money
- reputations
- jobs, tenure

alex3619

There is a big issue here with the use of the F word, and it has little to do with the facts of the case. The issue here is that the practices used in the PACE trial are common within some sub-branches of psychiatry. If they admit this is fraud based upon the technical details, much of psychiatry is on the firing line. That is a global enterprise with a value on the order of a quarter trillion dollars a year.

Psychogenic psychiatry, in particular, has been using methods like that in the PACE trial for most of last century. The same old methods, arguments and claims are seen again and again. Yet what is unique about PACE comes down to how many of these methods to generate bias are in one single study, the patient group has considerable findings on pathophysiology though not cause, and the lead investigator wrote a paper acknowledging a biased method that was deliberately used in the study.

Making general rhetorical arguments in support of their claims, that are often irrational and without evidence? Standard psychiatric practice for psychogenic proponents. Its much the same for parapsychology. Stigmatizing patients? We see that in much of psychiatry. Failure to objectively validate diagnostic criteria? Standard in psychiatry. Agreement by consensus of a handful of experts? Standard in psychiatry. (This last argument is a problem for ME as well, and one reason I really dislike expert consensus, though expert consensus with objective evidence is much better than expert consensus based almost entirely upon subjective evidence.) There are two hundred and fifty billion reasons to never admit the problem.

Scientific misconduct is easier to demonstrate than fraud, and can be just as serious. The technical elements are easier to establish. Fraud includes intent to deceive, and though I think there is a strong case for this it will be very hard to prove. That is not the case with scientific misconduct.

Even one whistle-blower inside PACE coming forward and this changes. An allegation of fraud might suddenly become very tenable.

Nobody thought big tobacco could be exposed. They were wrong. It was however a very long and very expensive fight.

Laelia

I TRUST THIS GUY'S INTUITION

.twitter-embed .twitter-tweet { min-height: 150px; border: 1px solid #f3f3f3; border-radius: 7px; padding: 6px 6px; background-color: #fff; }

Thanks @Yogi for bringing this to our attention! :thumbsup:

Also it's possible that David Tuller is relying on more than simply intuition in making that statement...

[EDIT: I failed to copy your message successfully but the statement I am referring to by David Tuller is "And more on the fraudulent PACE trial..." (my bold)]

Last edited:

Valentijn

Also it's possible that David Tuller is relying on more than simply intuition in making that statement...
David Tuller is in a very different situation. Namely, not the UK :p

To repeat what I said earlier - if an academic in the UK accuses a colleague of misconduct which suggests they are unfit for their job, it's a prima facie case of defamation. That means the accusing academic could be taken to court and required to prove that their accusation is accurate. If they fail to prove it, they are guilty of defamation and liable for damages.

It doesn't matter if it's fraud or not. Due to defamation laws in the UK, it is simply too dangerous to accuse someone of it unless the case has already been made.

I fully believe it's deliberate academic misconduct and fraud, for the same reasons others have listed above. And I think that if someone in the UK politely suggests that people not make accusations of fraud on his blog or article, we should take the hint.

Laelia

And I think that if someone in the UK politely suggests that people not make accusations of fraud on his blog or article, we should take the hint.

The author made the comment "Let's be careful about the word fraud"

Is this what you are interpreting as a polite suggestion that people do not make accusations of fraud on his blog? @Valentijn

Laelia

Of course not. But I'm absolutely certain there's nothing to gain by encouraging dozens of people to comment about fraud on his article.

Ok! Thank you for sharing your opinion :thumbsup:

What do others think? Should I remove the comments from my original post which encourage people to take the discussion over to The Conversation article? I'm happy to do this, if that's everyone thinks is the best strategy :)

[Edit: question now resolved, original post has been edited]

Last edited:

Esther12

Are there two different threads on this?

In the other one I said that I don't think that having patients describe PACE as a fraud is more likely to hurt than help us. IMO: we're best off being cuatious in the claims we make and pushing for the release of more information and evidence that will help us work out exactly what went wrong and how. If people with letters after their name fancy describing PACE as a fraud, I'd find it hard to argue that was inaccurate, but it's probably best for patients in comment sections to keep things as restrained as possible.

Valentijn

IMO: we're best off being cuatious in the claims we make and pushing for the release of more information and evidence that will help us work out exactly what went wrong and how.
Agreed. The poor science itself is already a very strong claim, and also a completely safe one.

Bringing motivation and deliberation into it is more open to dispute and can distract from the central points: that PACE was a piece of crap, and if anything it showed that CBT and GET are ineffective. That does just as much damage to the principal investigators involved, and leaves the patients smelling like roses.

Barry53

If, in due course, if it can be proven the PACE investigators wilfully manipulated the data to knowingly publish results that were seriously flawed, and then knowingly influenced how ME sufferers were treated - medically and otherwise, then I suspect there my be fraud. But getting to that point would be along way down the road. A public enquiry would be a good starting point.

Kati

Patient in training
If, in due course, if it can be proven the PACE investigators wilfully manipulated the data to knowingly publish results that were seriously flawed, and then knowingly influenced how ME sufferers were treated - medically and otherwise, then I suspect there my be fraud. But getting to that point would be along way down the road. A public enquiry would be a good starting point.
Public inquiry in the UK can be like walking in a minefield ... it would be like asking Sean Spicer to investigate Trump's ties with Russia...