• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Open medicine institute & rituximab questions...

Background: I am 39 yrs old, sick with M.E. for 16 yrs. I live with and am semi-dependent on my 75 yr old parents as caregivers. Everyday I feel like I have combination of a hangover / flu / jet lag, and these symptoms are exponentially intensified when I induce PEM from even the most mild activities. Sometimes my concentration is down to only a few minutes. I feel like my life is slowly becoming unmanigable and as my parents are getting older, I'm feeling the pressure that i need to do something soon because every year I am becoming more disabled. I fear I may be headed toward becoming bedbound or in some sort of nursing home. I'm starting to feal the urgency of needing to act before it's too late to recover.

A couple of questions:

1) I called the OMI and spoke to the receptionist. She said Andreas kogelnick was not taking new patients but two other Drs would be able to see me (Dr belecheta & dr Kaufman). Is Andreas kogelnick the only dr who prescribes Rituxan or might the other Drs prescribe it as Well? Do the OMI Drs prescribe rituximab often or just in a few very rare cases?

2) Are any other Drs prescribing rituximab in the U.S. (Preferably on the east coast)

3) I understand an ANA blood test might be a possible indicator of a potential responder. Are there any other blood tests that might say if I'm a candidate for rituximab?

Thanks in advance for any replys.

perrier

Dear Mesurfer
I completely understand your situation. My daughter is severely ill too. And if I die, there is no one to take over. She is even contemplating assisted suicide, as a result.

I don't understand why the researchers aren't moving more swiftly.

We too are thinking of omi.

But on another thread there were some troubling indications.

I asked for more info.

I think RTX should probably be done with doctors connected to a hospital.