• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

ONOO, Methylation and BH4

kyzcreig

BH4 can be purchased here without a prescription (although not counting office visit costs Kuvan from a doctor will be cheaper):
http://www.spectrum-supplements.com/tetrahydrobiopterin-60-capsules.html
Freddd's Methylation Protocol can be found here:
http://forums.phoenixrising.me/index.php?threads/active-b12-protocol-basics.10138/

BH4 deficiency disrupts the levels of certain neurotransmitters in the brain, which affects the function of the central nervous system (CNS), and dysregulation of the nitric oxide cycle leads to a buildup of peroxynitrite, an inflammatory oxidant that further degrades BH4 and perpetuates a state of inflammation. [24]

Tetrahydrobiopterin Deficiency and Dysautonomia

BH4 serves as a catalyst for the production of NO in mast cells, and in that way and manner plays a key role in mast cell mediator release. [22] Among other things, NO is important in the regulation of blood pressure and blood flow, thereby playing a signficiant role in cardiovascular disease. [24] NO formation inhibits mast cell degranulation, whereas inhibition of NO increases degranulation. [22] BH4 deficiency inhibits NO production thereby increasing mast cell degranulation. NO deficit is associated with POTS. [28] The amount of blood flowing to the different parts of the body is regulated by the autonomic nerves and by local factors produced by the blood vessels. NO is one of the most important of these metabolic factors. If the production of NO is slowed or stopped, the amount of blood to the different parts of the body is decreased. There is increasing knowledge that NO mechanisms are impaired in a number of medical conditions. [26]

I've started supplementing with 2.5mg BH4 twice daily and plan to report my experiences. Simultaneously I will be starting Freddd's methylation protocol.

In the meantime I'd love to hear from PWCs that have taken BH4 and their results.