• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Off-topic symptom: numb, tingling finger tip

Ayaju

Weird? Not weird? Any chance anyone has knowledge of this odd malady? The finger tip of my left pointer finger has been numb and tingling for a couple of months or so. I don't even know how to begin inquiring in the medical community about this! I don't even have a primary card doctor right now. At first I thought maybe it was connected to my first laptop (yes, I'm 56 and was a laptop virgin until now!); some sort of carpal tunnel... but then, why just that spot??

Thanks for indulging me, Judy

Crux

Hi Ayaju,
The numbness on my hand began on the pinky finger, then moved to the ring and middle fingers. In my case, it turned out to be a B12 deficiency.

I see you are investigating this. ( looking at other thread.) I'm very glad.

Blood serum B12 measurements can be misleading.

Ayaju

Thanks, Crux... I bet you're right.
It's so hard... the more you learn, the more doors open to yet another path, and then another path, and etc., etc.
I'm in another feeling-totally-lost-and-overwhelmed phase. Asking myself so many questions: Do I continue the Threelac candida treatment? Do I start the Equilibrant treatment? Do I get those Methylation tests? How do I get my body to absorb B vitaimns? Which B's should I take? ???
And: AM I THROWING HUNDREDS AND HUNDREDS OF DOLLARS AWAY ON THE SUPPS/TREATMENTS I'M USING?

Crux

I agree!
What tests have you had done, and have there been any results that were even high normal or low normal ?
Sometimes there are clues in tests, other times, confusion.
I'm not experienced with interpreting tests, but many folks here are.
( I have had some abnormalities, though, that I was able to figure out.)

Having candida, or SIBO, etc., can really disturb the B vitamins and the nerves, so I agree with the many folks here that treating the gut is a great way to begin and continue. It's certainly difficult, though. ( I still have an ailing gut.)

I think it is a good idea to keep a simple, basic approach. ( I have to tell myself this alot... like everyday.)

rosie26

Hi Ayaju

I bought a laptop about 18 months ago. I think it played a part in my deterioration last year, pressing the keyboard really inflamed all my fingers which triggered overall body inflammation.

I know what you mean about the treatments, what to do etc! I am not very good at working out how much to take of this or that and I get concerned that I could be getting my body further out of balance. So I try to keep it very simple. xx. I think most of us have worried about the MS, hoping we are not going there next.!

perchance dreamer

One possibility is that you have some nerve impingement in your neck or upper back that's causing the tingling in your finger. I've had that before, and it went away on its own. I think I took some anti-inflammatories, which helped.

SOC

Isn't this indicative of developing peripheral neuropathy which is pretty common in ME/CFS?