• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Nystatin 500000 and abx

roxie60

Anyone taking nystatin and abx? Trying to verify it is ok, effective to take nystatin dose along with the abx, same time. Called the pharmacist but did not feel he was confident telling me it is ok. I know taking probiotics has to occur 2 hrs befor or after taking abx. Since nystatin is an antifungal just want to be sure it is ok to take at the same time.

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
Anyone taking nystatin and abx? Trying to verify it is ok, effective to take nystatin dose along with the abx, same time. Called the pharmacist but did not feel he was confident telling me it is ok. I know taking probiotics has to occur 2 hrs befor or after taking abx. Since nystatin is an antifungal just want to be sure it is ok to take at the same time.

Some antibiotics makers put nystatin in the capsule so I guess they think it is OK--though who knows what is behind what drug companies do! :nervous:

Sushi

tdog333

If I ever take antibiotics again I will make sure i take nystatin with them. It took me a long time to fix my candida overgrowth. Quite a few DR's in europe prescribe nystatin with abx.

http://ispd.org/lang-/component/expertqa?task=view&qid=856

expert, from Europe ():
Fungal prophylaxis using oral nystatin or fluconazole during antibiotic therapy may prevent some cases of Candida peritonitis in programs that have high rates of fungal peritonitis. Nystatin tablets (500,000 units, 4 times per day) can be given orally to cover the whole course of antibiotic therapy (Wong et al, PDI 2007). To my knowledge, there is no clear superiority of nystatin or fluconazole in the prevention of fungal peritonitis. There is no evidence that fungal prophylaxis during antibiotherapy for PD-related peritonitis can reduce the rate of fungal peritonitis in programs with low baseline rate of FP.

Expert C, from (United States):
There are clinical trials that have shown that nystatin is superior to placebo and that fluconazole is superior to placebo when using antibiotics for longer than five days. Given the low overall risk with the use of nystatin and the extremely high risk of adverse consequences with the occurrence of fungal peritonitis, we routinely prescribe nystatin every time a patient is treated with antibiotics for longer than five days for whatever be the site of infection (PD-related peritonitis or diabetic foot or pneumonia).

Expert B, from (Australia):
We prescribe Nystatin tablets 500,000 units qid for the length of the antibiotic course plus 7 days after the antibiotic course is completed.