• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Novak Djokovic's diet and TCM

sarah darwins

Wish you all a good day, including you Kina and Sarah. Hope you all have a great day ahead!!! :):):)

BTW Sarah: love your cat picture in your logo. It's soooooo cute-looking. Love cats a million times over :heart::heart::heart:

Wintersky

Thank you, Wintersky, for all your contributions here. And especially for loving my favourite ever cat, Vera. She's no longer with us, but was my bosom buddy for many years and I carry her around in my heart.

Undisclosed

http://www.tcvm.com/NewsArticles/TabId/245/ArtMID/1382/ArticleID/97/A-Look-at-Blood-Stasis.aspx
@wintersky - You really don't seem to have understood the point. Yes, some TCM concepts are roughly similar to modern medical knowledge, but those TCM concepts are vague and wrongly attributed to various influences. They do not utilize modern understanding of biology, and they usually are not proven effective by scientific methods.

Yes, it's a total understatement that wintersky is totally missing the point.

Most traditional healing practices throughout the world prior to knowledge of the human body were based on imbalances of elemental qualities. In the time of ancient Greeks and Romans, these elements were earth, water, air and fire and the system of traditional healing related to these elements were accepted in Europe until the scientfic revolution when they started realizing that the ideas had no scientific basis. TCM has gone the same way.

Qing hao su was a herb used in China for treating fever for over 2,000 years. As with many cultures prior to 'modern' medicine, some plants were found by trial and error to have some medicinal properties eg. willow bark as a pain killer. About 40 years ago, scientific research found that 'qing hao su' had specific anti-malarial activity and its active compound, artemesin, was isolated. The discovery of this had nothing to do withe the concepts of TCM.

What has TCM ever accomplished -- does it cure Type 1 diabetes, has it eradicated smallpox from the planet, has it helped increase the life spans of those with cystic fibrosis, did it save the life of millions of people infected with HIV, has it enabled the discovery of genes that cause disease, has it saved premature infants from dying, has it stopped the spread of polio, did it stop cholera, does it cure cancer (the biggest killer in China these days), does it help Parkinson's patients control their symptoms, does it help control the hallucinations/delusions of schizophrenics, did it contribute to the knowledge that deficiency in folic acid in pregnant women could end up having children with spina bifida, has it enabled people with damaged kidneys and livers to stay alive when previously this was a death sentence etc. Why has the life span increased in China and every other country in tandem with discoveries made by modern medicine? If the world was still practicing medicine solely based on TCM, the life-span would be way shorter and people would be suffering and dying unnecesssarily.

Hi Kina,

Thanks. Thanks for stating indirect scientific support of TCM's Dampness concept :). In TCM, as noted in Autoimmune (Arthritis) patients specifically, "Dampness" is related to infection in that body functions become weaker and hence infection sets in easily and results in an over-active immune system. In TCM, it's noted as a form of Deficiency (weak body) causing Excess (infection leading to overactive immune system).

I did no such thing. You are totally missing the point.

Once again, thanks for showing indirect scientific validation of old TCM concepts :). In TCM, slow circulation can be due to many factors, "Qi" being only one of them. One over-simplifying interpretation of "Qi" is as energy. Science 101 says heated objects vibrate/move faster due to more energy. You say blood stasis in science is a circulation problem. So less "Qi"/energy results in blood moving/circulating slower. Dont see any contradiction here when all along ancient TCM medical texts note that Blood stasis can be viewed as a circulation problem possibly caused by less "Qi"/energy. Blood-Invigorating herbs have been used for this purpose in TCM.

I did no such thing. One can't possibly show 'indirect scientific validation' of 'old TCM concepts' when according to the preponderance of research Qi, the five elements, meridians do not exist.

LOLLL. Hahaha, you are so cute, Kina!! I am trying hard not to drop off my chair. No offense meant here. When reading anything from Asian culture (medical texts or not), there has to be a cultural understanding/careful interpretation if a metaphorical meaning here is referred to or not. Metaphoric meanings pervade many aspects of Asian life. For instance, a common morning greeting "Have you eaten?" is not to be physically interpreted as whether one has had breakfast, but rather as a courtesy greeting, so even if one has not had breakfast, one would often say "yes".

I took what I said from -- http://www.tcvm.com/NewsArticles/TabId/245/ArtMID/1382/ArticleID/97/A-Look-at-Blood-Stasis.aspx written by a TCM pratictitioner type who promotes that is nothing close to how the human body works and really its websites like that, that make me fall off my chair largely from increduality that despite the advances in medicine he is still promoting the concepts as 'medicine'.

Why turn comments into a personal attack. Laugh and drop off your chair all you want, roll around the floor with your LOL's etc. Are people not allowed to comment about what interests them, or discuss what they have learned as you are doing or simply join in a discussion on a forum. Please avoid personal attacks as they are against our rules and don't add anything to a conversation. Ad hominem's degrade conversations and serve no purpose.

You have a tendency to over-link things i was saying into a broader context which i have not mentioned anywhere. I have no problems with most of modern science. All along, my issue was specifically with actual modern drug research not being replicable and how drug results seem to lose effectiveness over time due to Mother Nature perhaps.

A lot of drug research is replicable and valid -- some isn't. If drugs lose efficiency over time then so would herbals as it's all down to chemical structure. All plants and medicines are broken down into chemicals, the body can't tell the difference.

One basic tenet of Science is that all scientific conclusions can be replicated under independent experiments at any time. For instance, i have done electrolysis experiments before and i have no doubt in verifying the experimental end results will be hydrogen and oxygen even if i do it now. However, the same cannot be said for modern drug research as the various studies' numbers show. The correct conclusion to draw here is that specifically, modern drug research might be of dubious scientific worth since they cannot be replicated nowadays. What is correct in the past does not necessarily mean that they hold true nowadays nor in the future.

That is not true. The basic tenet of science is that if scientific results are not replicated and validated, then that science will be replaced by newer discoveries. The cool thing about modern science that it is usually self-correcting which does not apply to TCM. It seems the tenets of TCM is to believe in unproven, unvalidated theories and even when they have been replaced by more reasonable theories proven with research -- they still continue to believe what has been disproven. At least modern research admits when they are wrong and moves along. Some time it takes a while but it does.

I am not refuting whatsoever that some herbal preparations used in pre-modern medicine and now are not effective in reducing symptoms. They obviously are and are being studied by modern scientists with modern equipment using what is known about chemistry, physiology, anatomy. I choose to discuss things related to recent scientific discoveries.