• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

(Not illness specific) [JSTOR] Journal Archive Opens Up (Some)

Dolphin

Journal Archive Opens Up (Some)
January 9, 2013 - 3:00am

By

Alexandra Tilsley

More than 700 publishers, in addition to the 76 that signed on initially, have agreed to make their journal content available to individual users through JSTOR’s Register & Read program, which launches in earnest today after the conclusion of a pilot that started last year.

The Register & Read program was designed to make access to JSTOR’s treasure trove of journal articles at least a little more open. While access to JSTOR’s full content is reserved for those with ties to libraries that purchase subscriptions, the Register & Read program lets anyone, university-affiliated or not, read -- but not download or copy -- up to three articles every two weeks, for free.

article continues at:
http://www.insidehighered.com/news/2013/01/09/jstor-offer-limited-free-access-content-1200-journals

Here's the link to sign up http://about.jstor.org/rr
(COI Statement: I have no financial interest in any of these)

Bob

It looks like a promising new service, but not all the big-name journals have signed up to it yet.

As an alternative way to find research papers, I've found that I can usually get hold of a copy of a paper published within a journal or a book, from my local large library through an inter-library loan from the British Library, for a small fee of about £3. The British Library has always had copies of books and journals that I've wanted, however obscure. (Copies of individual research papers/articles, from journals, can also be bought online from the British Library, but they cost normal-ish prices of about £20 to £30.)

There's also this fairly new service, "deepdyve.com", which provides 'rented' research papers for a very large discount:
http://www.deepdyve.com/
I've never used it because they've never had an article that I've been looking for.
They're offering a free trial at the moment.

alex3619

Hi Bob, the Australian public can do something similar through their state libraries. I did a few years back. That is not too bad if you only want one paper. Its not good if you want to read hundreds. I used to live a short walk from the biggest medical library in my state, back when I could still walk a little and afford to live in the inner city. It was great. Want a paper? Take a bus, walk a bit, photocopy, come home. Now its a three hour trip each way. Having online services available at little or no cost is great. However this idea that we can only read them not download them is nonsense and unenforceable. If we can read it we can download it, period, even if it requires screen dumps. Essentially what they are selling is convenience. If you want fast and easy, you pay. If its free then its inconvenient. This might actually be a good model, as the public is not in the same hurry (typically) as a busy professional who can afford to pay. Bye, Alex