• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

No Reduction of Severe Fatigue in Patients With Postpolio Syndrome by Exercise Therapy or CBT

JaimeS

@Woolie,

I think my post that said the same got deleted because I quoted from the article (even though I did not have to pay for it, I got it because I am a member of Research Gate.) So expect your post to disappear as well...

Woolie

No, I think your post is still there, @JaimeS. So we really didn't need my link (but I suppose, belt AND braces is probably good).

Enjoying your posts, btw. :)

Snow Leopard

Hibernating
Whatever happened to the "polio vaccine causes a PPS variant that is ME/CFS" theory that was modestly popular in the nineties? Was it disproven? Or simply dropped off the radar?

I haven't heard of this theory... It is however interesting as that was my personal experience - rapid onset within weeks of oral polio vaccine - I had severe lower body weakness and couldn't walk for a time...

alex3619

This post polio theory was very big, but nobody researched it. I am guessing that in addition to the usual lack of interest or funding, it was ignored by most because polio is a disease we have almost completely beaten.

I do wonder if ME does not exist except in conjunction with something else. So post polio would be ME with the effects of polio. Ditto lyme. This follows through to EBV, Q fever etc. So these are all subgroups.

The alternative you have to think about is that these are all different diseases, in which case ME fractures into many different diseases.

Or a hybrid of the two positions, of course.

alex3619

I agree completely. I think there is a form of mental illness going on with these people. In some cases it may be as serious as an in-born lack of empathy associated with narcissism. In most I suspect it to be something milder -- forms of denial, or inability to cope with the reality of the ambiguity and unfairness of the world, or an unwillingness to accept that what they were told by their chosen authority figures is wrong and harmful.
I have discussed before that, for the most part, there is NO mental illness. What we have is brain illness, or illnesses affecting the brain ... with one exception. False belief systems. I have also said that its dangerous to medicalize false belief systems. Illness can influence thought, and vice versa, but aside from brain illness its a limited influence that has not been properly investigated.

Psychopsychiatry is about as dense a system of interlocking beliefs, much of it unproven or disproven or unprovable, as we know of. The only rival, and not nearly as bad, is economics. They are taught answers for everything, answers that interlock and prevent criticism. It definitely qualifies as a dysfunctional belief system in my opinion, but I would not want to call it an illness.

This is more a matter for society, including politics, than doctors. If mainstream scientists got more involved there would be more criticism, but I think they are held off by the claim that only a psych could understand, and the idea that you don't criticize outside your own field.

SOC

I have discussed before that, for the most part, there is NO mental illness. What we have is brain illness, or illnesses affecting the brain ... with one exception. False belief systems. I have also said that its dangerous to medicalize false belief systems.
I agree with you completely and apologize for using common-speak rather than more specific scientific-speak in this case.

I believe that most of the psychoquacks abusing patients choose to become involved in a false belief system and refuse to face reality despite the harm they are doing to others. Correction of those false belief systems probably requires talk therapy of some kind, whether that talk comes from a licensed therapist or some authority figure they trust or believe. Acceptance of their willingness to do harm to others for their own benefit will also require some kind of thought and/or attitude adjustment that they are unlikely to make without some kind of support. Good psychotherapy that helps people understand their harmful beliefs and change them might be beneficial here.

I suspect there are also some people in the field with organic brain illness which prevents them from having empathy or concern for others. Such people should never be allowed in positions where such skills are absolutely necessary, nor should they be put in power over other people. Psychiatry, psychology, medicine, education, and politics are fields where people with no empathy are given too much power and do a great deal of harm to vulnerable populations.