• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

NHS could be 'overwhelmed' by people with long-term medical conditions

alex3619

Chronic diseases take up a huge portion of the budget. Many do receive good research funding (heart disease, diabetes) but I think that many do not, with ME being one of the least funded.

There is also a reflexive presumption that the underlying causes are understood. I am not convinced they are. To quote an actor quoting Sun Tzu: Knowledge precedes victory, ignorance precedes defeat.

Chronic disease is on the rise, and its not all due to aging or lifestyle factors. We need better, cheaper ways of dealing with this.

One of the issues we have is that a lot of the research has moved to managing chronic conditions. That is important, but basic research into mechanisms are necessary or the only breakthroughs in treatment that will occur will be by chance discovery.

To cut costs there are two approaches. This article deals with better services to target individuals in need. The other one often favoured in politics is to cut costs by triaging patients more, limiting services, and denying care. Problems do not go away when you do that, they often get worse and can wind up costing more.

We need a global research agenda. You don't solve massively complex problems by being excessively cautious and reasoning from ignorance.

Ambrosia_angel

The nhs are overwhelmed by everything and the government still manages to under-spend by millions. I don't even have to read the article to know what it will be on about.

I do think lifestyle factors play a massive difference though. People are eating worse and worse nowadays. Some of these conditions weren't even common place until recent years. Living of wheat doesn't cut it when it comes to a healthy lifestyle