Severe ME Day of Understanding and Remembrance: Aug. 8, 2017
Determined to paper the Internet with articles about ME, Jody Smith brings some additional focus to Severe Myalgic Encephalomyelitis Day of Understanding and Remembrance on Aug. 8, 2017 ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Newly made mitochondrial DNA drives inflammation

Discussion in 'Other Health News and Research' started by Gondwanaland, Aug 3, 2018.

1. Gondwanaland

Gondwanaland Senior Member

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-018-05764-z

2. ljimbo423

ljimbo423 Senior Member

United States, New Hampshire
    This is a very informative article and I think it ties into the biochemical processes of ME/CFS very well. Thank you for posting it.

I have been reading about how mitochondria can cause inflammation for a few months now. My feeling is the inflammation from the dysfunctional mitochondria is playing a big part in ME/CFS symptoms.

Here are a couple more quotes from the paper that jumped out at me-

I think this first quote is referring to why oxidized mitochondrial DNA triggers the cytokine IL-1B and inflammation.

This image, as I understand it, shows Reactive oxygen species (ROS) oxidizing mitochondrial DNA and the oxidized mitochondrial DNA triggers inflammasome activation, which causes an increase in Interleukin 1B (IL-1B). Which is a strong innate immune system cytokine.

Something else I find really interesting in the article is that they use lipopolysacchrides (LPS) to cause the ROS and trigger the inflammasome and IL-1B.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 3, 2018
    ahmo, lafarfelue, sb4 and 3 others like this.
  3. Gondwanaland

Gondwanaland Senior Member

Thank you for extracting the essentials from it, which I do not have the energy to do.

ahmo, sb4, Gemini and 1 other person like this.
  4. Gemini

Gemini Senior Member

East Coast USA
    Thanks for pointing out the IL-1B trigger @ljimbo423. Very interesting!

Montoya's recent paper profiling cytokines 18 hours post exercise cites IL-1B:

The most discriminatory cytokines post exercise were CD40L, platelet activator inhibitor, interleukin 1-β, interferon-α and CXCL1.

In conclusion, cytokine profiling following exercise may help differentiate patients with ME/CFS from sedentary controls.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/29426834

ljimbo423 likes this.
  5. ljimbo423

ljimbo423 Senior Member

United States, New Hampshire
    Nice find! I think exercise in ongoing research will reveal a lot.

6. Wishful

Wishful Senior Member

It certainly helps show how complex the whole immune system is. I was convinced that my disorder involved mitochondria and the immune system long before I realized I had ME, so this new finding fits that nicely. This should give the researchers another perspective on ME.

Gemini, lafarfelue and Gondwanaland like this.
  7. Gemini

Gemini Senior Member

East Coast USA
    Agree @ljimbo423 glad you mentioned exercise, prompted me to take another look at Maureen Hanson's recent Iime Conference talk covering her research and "microvesicule" project. This article mentions them:

"Mitochondria can release microvesicles containing oxidized DNA and protein...the release of mitochondrial nucleic acids to the cytoplasm can act as a signal that triggers a defense response..."

Thanks for posting this @Gondwanaland! Fascinating link between mitochondrial and inflammatory signaling! In a top scientific journal! Stanford co-authors on the underlying Nature paper, too.

Summary transcript of Hanson's talk here:
    www.investinme.eu/Iimec13.shtml#report

Hanson's entire talk is available on DVD that can be ordered:
    www.investinme.eu/Iimec13.shtml#dvd

ljimbo423 and Gondwanaland like this.

See more popular forum discussions.