• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

New test uses a single drop of blood to reveal entire history of viral infections

Persimmon

It looks like VirScan doesn't work very well, yet, but that lots of senior medical people (eg Likpin, Racaniello, Science editors) are taking it seriously - presumably because of the potential this technique promises.

Also, it's exciting to realise that another high quality, high status researcher has entered the field of ME research. Professor Elledge, whose lab developed VirScan, holds a named chair at Harvard Medical School and seems to have a distinguished track record.

The CAA, which mentioned Elledge's involvement back on 8 December, 2014 (refer:
http://solvecfs.org/being-patient-centric/) has posted the following statement by Elledge:

http://solvecfs.org/research/cfidsaa-research-program-for-researchers/steve-elledge/

Dr. Stephen J. Elledge
Department of Genetics
Harvard Medical School
The underlying cause of Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (CFS) is still unknown. We suspect that it is caused by a viral or bacterial infection, since the onset of CFS is often accompanied by a flu-like illness. We are studying this possibility by examining people’s antibodies.

Antibodies are substances that our body normally makes in response to an infection. Each antibody is capable of specifically recognizing a target. Antibodies can target a wide range of things, including viruses and bacteria. Once an antibody sees its target pathogen, it can activate a variety of mechanisms to kill and eliminate the pathogen. When we get an infection, we often generate antibodies that specifically target the virus or bacteria that caused the infection. After the infection is dealt with, our body keeps these antibodies around to protect us from future infections by the same pathogen.

We have developed a technology that reveals all the viruses targeted by the antibodies in a blood sample. This data allows us to determine what viruses people have been exposed to. We plan to use this technology to examine the blood from people with and without CFS in order to find viruses that are associated with CFS. We hope this study will identify a pathogen as a likely causative agent of the disease in order to focus future study.

We also have a related technology that reveals all the targets of autoantibodies in a blood sample. Occasionally, the immune system makes mistakes and generates autoantibodies, which are antibodies that recognize the body’s own cells. Autoantibodies can cause damage to the body’s own organs and are a sign of immune dysfunction. We also plan to apply this technology to the sample blood samples to look for evidence of immune dysfunction in people with CFS.

Bob

Dr. Stephen J. Elledge said:
We also have a related technology that reveals all the targets of autoantibodies in a blood sample. Occasionally, the immune system makes mistakes and generates autoantibodies, which are antibodies that recognize the body’s own cells. Autoantibodies can cause damage to the body’s own organs and are a sign of immune dysfunction. We also plan to apply this technology to the sample blood samples to look for evidence of immune dysfunction in people with CFS.
Interesting. I'd like to read more about that.

Edit: I suppose it would only apply to known auto-antibodies (as opposed to unknown) which would probably mean limited usefulness for ME/CFS. But it could perhaps throw out some interesting results, nevertheless. (Could they apply the test to all known auto-antibodies? - How many known auto-antibodies are there? And is there a comprehensive central database for auto-antibodies?) In any case, it's great to see that they're doing this research into ME/CFS. As @Persimmon said it means another new high-profile researcher getting involved in ME/CFS. This is great news.

Last edited:

Jonathan Edwards

"Gibberish"
So how do we know they aren't underdetecting everything?

Might underdetection suggest that finding antibodies in blood might not be as definitive a test of exposure and/or infection as is believed? If we know nearly 100% of people are exposed to HHV3 (chicken pox) and that the virus remains in the body life-long, but blood testing for antibodies is only showing exposure in 24% of the population, then it might be reasonable to hypothesize that these infections are not reliably detectable via blood antibody titres.

Or their test has a long way to go before it's ready for the big leagues. ;)

I agree. I think it may be important to note that this is a really weird way of measuring antibodies - using a phage library followed by DNA sequencing to see which units precipitated antibody. It is likely that the numbers you get out will bear almost no relation to standard antibody tests.

And as someone said this seems to be a test for screening populations for differences between populations, not a test for studying individuals.

I have not read the full paper but there is a certain paradox in saying '24% are positive' when there is no control population (to 'control for the normal population') that will tell us what is a 'positive' result. I cannot see how you can have a reference range such that 24% of normals are positive unless you decide what is positive on some pre-defined arbitrary cut-off.

That of course is no problem is it is just used to compare populations. If it shows differences these can be checked with conventional tests. It might miss important differences but the likelihood is that it may just be calibrated very differently - so you will still see differences that are there.

Denise

Yes, the test will only detect antibodies if they're present. My thoughts: If a significant subset of ME patients lack certain antibodies to common viruses, then perhaps that will be apparent from the data, and could potentially be a useful finding.

Would it be reasonable to think that much would also need to be learned from all groups who do not retain antibodies in order for ME subset info to begin to become clear?

Edited to add this link (additional coverage of this study): http://arstechnica.com/science/2015...reveal-a-persons-history-of-viral-infections/

Last edited: