• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

New sleep medication belsomra

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
Experiment 2 tonight in another 4 or 5 hrs. I plan to use lyrica again with belsomra but add non benzo med/s to help initiate sleep.

Tizanadine i have found helpful to put me back to sleep if i have woken up at 3am etc and it has a very short half life. Ive also on the odd occassion when i have really needed an afternoon nap taken tiz on its own and ive slept and hr or two. Plus will take melatonin. I have thought of adding an antihistamine but will leave it for another time. If all else fails i will add a low dose of zopiclone.

Id really like a no benzo way of good sleep as it would be a good way to reduce benzo tolerance.

I can remember the first time i used stilnox after horrible sleep and insomnia in the early days of cfsme, half of a stilnox put me out very quickly and i slept very well throughout the night and woke with no hangover. It made a big difference. Nice to get back to something similar.

Experiment 2, belsomra at 8pm and by the hour i was starting to feel sluggish so i took my lyrica and tizanadine. 10pm went to bed but i could not drift off for the life of me. I took stilnox and drifted off to sleep within half hr. Mid morning i was restless in bed. I think general aches and pains happening.

So i think it can help some but many will need to add something to it to fall asleep, hard core insomniacs anyway. I think the current price its not worth it and its alot cheaper to just use antihistamines. As the price comes down then i think it may be worth it to use as an add on for sleep. What i have left i will use intermittently but i wont be buying more unless prices drop.

There is a sluggishness the next day, hard to describe but to other medication hangovers. I guess its that particular part of the brain it targets.

Alvin2

The good news is patients don't die the bad news..
I wonder if drug companies will research more on orexin sleep drugs. Something stronger but also a shorter half life???
I doubt it would work any better, you can't go past 100% antagonism.
I'll put it to you this way, people with narcolepsy have little to no Orexin in their brains at all yet they typically don't sleep many more hours a day then regular people, if an Orexin antagonist was going to be a miracle sleep drug narcoleptics would be sleeping 24/7.

heapsreal

I doubt it would work any better, you can't go past 100% antagonism.
I'll put it to you this way, people with narcolepsy have little to no Orexin in their brains at all yet they typically don't sleep many more hours a day then regular people, if an Orexin antagonist was going to be a miracle sleep drug narcoleptics would be sleeping 24/7.

True. Shorter half life could reduce hangovers? But is it worth the money for them to do this. I hope this type of stuff stimulates further research into sleep medicine. Surely a researcher is going to see that these drugs are far from perfect and look into other new sleep medicines.

Personally i think if they had a way to reduce benzo tolerance that the drug companies would get greater mileage from their current sleep meds. Just i thought.

Alvin2

The good news is patients don't die the bad news..
True. Shorter half life could reduce hangovers? But is it worth the money for them to do this. I hope this type of stuff stimulates further research into sleep medicine. Surely a researcher is going to see that these drugs are far from perfect and look into other new sleep medicines.

Personally i think if they had a way to reduce benzo tolerance that the drug companies would get greater mileage from their current sleep meds. Just i thought.
Research is always continuing in areas with significant profits to be had. A perfect sleeping pill would reap a fortune and you can bet money they are working on it.

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
I called the insurance company and they submitted a "non-formulary exception request."
My insurance approved it at $123 for 30 tabs. I'll do some more experimentation with my free samples before I lay down that much cash.

heapsreal

My insurance approved it at $123 for 30 tabs. I'll do some more experimentation with my free samples before I lay down that much cash.

I cant get over why it costs so much there. Like ive said before, its not covered by the health system here so i pay full price $56. Amazed at how the system is so different.

heapsreal

Thanks! Have you ever used this pharmacy? The question is always whether you are getting the real drug if you don't know the reputation of the pharmacy.

I used this place for other things. I guess theres always the risk of not knowing what your getting but if you have used belsomra before you should know after the first night.

I remember a few years back when the uk mainstream pharmacies were unknownly giving out fake cholesterol meds. I think it got exposed after many patients cholesterol levels all jumped up. I dont think we can ever know 100% unless we physically make the drug ourselves from scratch.

Im dubious about scare campaigns about online pharmacies, so much money involved and extra competition that other pharmacies dont want.

invisiblejungle

Thanks! Have you ever used this pharmacy? The question is always whether you are getting the real drug if you don't know the reputation of the pharmacy.

This is one of my favorite online pharmacies, and I ordered Belsomra from there. They sell Japanese-manufactured meds.

Like most people, Belsomra has a sedating effect on me, but it's not strong enough on its own to put me to sleep. I still need benzos, but I take Belsomra once in awhile when I need some extra help.

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
Like most people, Belsomra has a sedating effect on me, but it's not strong enough on its own to put me to sleep. I still need benzos,
Good to know about the pharmacy, thanks.

I'm experimenting with my samples and 5 mg plus half my usual dose of a benzo does the trick. I guess it is a good thing to try lowering the benzo dose. I'll give it a few more days before deciding whether to fill the script.