• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

New name for restless legs syndrome. Why not us?

barbc56

I saw my neurologist several weeks ago and on the diagnosis form there were the usual movement disorder as well as other sleep issues, plus Willis-Ekbom Disease but no RLS. I did not notice this until I got home, and when I looked it up sure enough it is now the name for RLS which like CFS is a dismissive name.

I kind of like the idea of having our condition named after someone and am wondering if doing the same thing for me/cfs might add credibility to our diagnosis?

I can also see the other side of this question for for a name change that is more discrptive of our DD.

I go back and forth about which would be a more apt name.

I'm kind onhe fence about this and there certainly could be other options of ways to rename our DD.

It would be interesting to know other's thoughts about this
Barb

ETA If this in not the right placce for this thread, it would be appreciated. If someone one would move it. Thanks.

WillowJ

คภภเє ɠรค๓թєl
wow, I did not know they were currently using names for disease labels.

I learned not long ago that this was considered bad form (because the name would be changed to something more explanatory after an appropriate interval after the passing of the scientist in question, and the changing of titles is cumbersome and confusing... and because it is not always apparent who deserves the most credit... there may have been other reasons I've forgotten). This was discussed on this thread, along with various name options.

But the RLS to Willis-Ekbom Disease may open up options I did not know were available. Cool.

It would make sense in some ways to use a name, as mainstream scientists feel uncertain about every aspect of the pathology, and even we are not certain whether we have identified anything truly central as of yet.

However lots of work has gone into ME/CFS as a transition form, and we might hope for a clearer name within a short time frame (1 year at best case scenario, though this is not guaranteed). So I am not certain of the value of pushing for a new name now, when we might just want to change it again to something better in a year or three.

barbc56

@WillowJ

That's a good point especially since at this time we don't know the subsets of me/cfs:)

I'm somewhat hopefull that good solid research may happen in the next decade. But with the constraints of economic woes and cutbacks it may be later than sooner.

While I'm not advocating for a name change now, I found the name change for rls as well as the rationale behind it hopful.

Barb

ETA on second look, I don't think I posted the article I orginally meant to which goes into more detail about the rationale behind the name change but will hopefully find it so I can post it.:bang-head:

manna

gall bladder meridian high/recovery phase starts at 11 p.m. ends at 1 a.m. this meridian runs down the full length of both legs ending on the second small toe i think. thats what i always thought rls was. in recovery, the last 2 weeks leading up to it, i get really crazy restless leg, every night, just before feeling near normal.

Allyson

@WillowJ

That's a good point especially since at this time we don't know the subsets of me/cfs:)

I'm somewhat hopefull that good solid research may happen in the next decade. But with the constraints of economic woes and cutbacks it may be later than sooner.

While I'm not advocating for a name change now, I found the name change for rls as well as the rationale behind it hopful.

Barb

ETA on second look, I don't think I posted the article I orginally meant to which goes into more detail about the rationale behind the name change but will hopefully find it so I can post it.:bang-head:

yes I think we need more docs taking fuller lists of symptoms to clarify all the subsets

Most places you are in and out in 15 minutes! not long enough

Ally