• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

New: My Experience

Jimbo39

Hi. This is my first post on this thread. I've had major depression (and probably CFS) for over 30 years. 2.5 years ago my doc discontinued my hydrocodone (after getting me addicted to it) and I crashed and burned. The cold turkey was nothing compared to the after effects. I was bed ridden for 4 months, could hardly function. Major brain fog, memory problems, speech difficulties, deep, dark, sucidial depression, intrusive thoughts, and racing mind. I think it may have to do with causing a intolerance to Valium. I had all the symptoms of Valium withdrawal. I've been slowly micro tapering V from 15 mg to 3. This has taken me 2 years. I feel better but no way like my pre crash days. I'm afraid the crash was caused by a glutamate storm and I have neuronal damage. If anyone has had a similar experience or could recommend supplements, etc, I'd be grateful.

Mary

Moderator Resource
Hi. This is my first post on this thread. I've had major depression (and probably CFS) for over 30 years. 2.5 years ago my doc discontinued my hydrocodone (after getting me addicted to it) and I crashed and burned. The cold turkey was nothing compared to the after effects. I was bed ridden for 4 months, could hardly function. Major brain fog, memory problems, speech difficulties, deep, dark, sucidial depression, intrusive thoughts, and racing mind. I think it may have to do with causing a intolerance to Valium. I had all the symptoms of Valium withdrawal. I've been slowly micro tapering V from 15 mg to 3. This has taken me 2 years. I feel better but no way like my pre crash days. I'm afraid the crash was caused by a glutamate storm and I have neuronal damage. If anyone has had a similar experience or could recommend supplements, etc, I'd be grateful.

@Jimbo39 - here's an article about getting off of benzos using high dose niacin, GABA and vitamin C. http://orthomolecular.org/resources/omns/v10n09.shtml

I'm currently tapering off 1 mg. of lorazepam (used middle of the night for sleep) and am now down to 0.75 mg in about 2 weeks, and am using niacin and lots of GABA supps at night (including l-theanine) - so far so good!

You've come a very long way, 15 mg. valium down to 3. So niacin and GABA may help you with the rest. The niacin stimulates GABA receptors.

There are lots of things which can help with mood - 5-htp (which I take, 100 mg. at night), omega 3's, SAMe (I can't tolerate prescription ADs). It sounds like you need a good naturopath or integrative medicine doctor who can help balance your neurotransmitters, hopefully without drugs.

Jimbo39

When I read the first 2 pages of the thread "Narcotic (opioid) pain medication relived some of my ME/CFS symptoms", a light came on. My symptoms are not caused by Valium tolerance but bymassive glutamate excitotoxicity

Jimbo39

How about mu opioids protect against glutamate excitotoxicity :

It also seems that as opioid tolerance develops so does an increase in glutamate. Short term opioid use may give short term benefits but longer term?

Marco: It does seem that both mu-opioid receptor agonists, and delta-opioid receptor agonists too, inhibit excitatory glutamate neurotransmission:

Another interesting study on the potent anti-inflammatory effects of kappa-opioids in arthritis. Kappa-opioid drugs can reduce the disease severity by as much as 80%:

Anti-inflammatory effects of opioids.

So it appears that the sudden cut off of my hydrocodone caused not only a huge glutamate storm but inflammatory issues as well? I hope this hasn't caused too much neuronal damage. I don't have a tenth of the knowledge you guys do so please chime in. I suppose the next question would be where do I go from here? I was glad to read that resveratrol has anti inflammatory qualities. I've been taking it as well as curcumin, PS and Alpha GPC for the last 5-6 months and I have seen an improvement. I still have constant tinnitus. Could be my Valium taper. It's weird I just had my neurotransmitter test results come in and my glutamate level was 15 (ref 10-73). Is my brain trying to reach homeostasis or is it just fried?

Jimbo39

I supplement with 5-HPT, SAMe, L-Dopa. At Benzo Buddies, they say it's not good to supplement with GABA if youre withdrawing from benzos because it slows down GABA receptor uptegulation