International ME/CFS and FM Awareness Day Is On May 12, 2018
Thomas Hennessy, Jr., selected May 12th to be our international awareness day back in 1992. He knew that May 12th had also been the birthday of Florence Nightingale. She was the English army nurse who helped to found the Red Cross as well as the first school of nursing in the world.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

New ME/CFS researchers in Bham, AL, goal is center of excellence

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS News' started by usedtobeperkytina, Dec 3, 2014.

1. usedtobeperkytina

usedtobeperkytina Senior Member

Clay, Alabama
  2. Helen

Helen Senior Member

Thanks. Interesting research.

3. Sushi

Sushi Moderation Resource Albuquerque

Albuquerque

mango, Valentijn, catly and 1 other person like this.
  4. maryb

maryb iherb code TAK122

UK
    Oh shucks.........great for those of you in the USA. I read Birmingham and thought it was the UK, I did a big wow and then......not here of course, as if????

usedtobeperkytina likes this.
  5. Sushi

Albuquerque
    I used to work at that medical center, hmmm, progress in unexpected places!

Sushi

6. Bob

Bob

England (south coast)

catly and Sushi like this.
  7. Gingergrrl

Gingergrrl Senior Member

USA
    It looks like the main doctor trained at Stanford so he must have worked with Dr. Montoya (I am speculating and didn't see this in the article unless I missed it) which is amazing! It sounds like a great center!

Now if the medical center where I used to work (which I won't name) were to start a center like this, I think I would drop dead from shock...

usedtobeperkytina, catly and SDSue like this.
  8. Sushi

Albuquerque

Valentijn and Gingergrrl like this.
  9. Lou

Lou Senior Member

southeast US

I thought UAB enjoyed an excellent reputation for some time now. My Dad had prognosis to live five years, they kept him alive for fifteen.

My parents loved the place and the staff.

usedtobeperkytina and catly like this.
  10. Sushi

Albuquerque
    They have had a great reputation but nothing to offer ME/CFS patients--until now!

Sushi

Lou, usedtobeperkytina and catly like this.
  11. Bob

Bob

England (south coast)
    I've come across Jarred Younger, the lab director, quite a lot over the past few months in relation to ME.
    If you do a Google search for "Jarred Younger CFS", it throws up lots of info.

And there's been quite a lot of discussion about his research on Phoenix Rising:
    http://forums.phoenixrising.me/index.php?search/16743474/&q=jarred younger&o=date

There's a video presentation here (video 2):
    http://mecfs.stanford.edu/2014SymposiumVideo.html

And a research paper here:
    http://www.translational-medicine.com/content/11/1/93

12. Wally

Wally Senior Member

FYI - University of Alabama (UA) is where Carol Duffy is located. She is the researcher who is working with Dr. Pridgen on his anti-viral/Celebrex study.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/University_of_Alabama_System. . .

Bob and catly like this.
  13. Denise

Denise Senior Member

14. Sushi

Albuquerque
    As I remember, Dr. Pridgen is in Tuscaloosa whereas UAB is in Birmingham.

Sushi

usedtobeperkytina likes this.
  15. usedtobeperkytina

usedtobeperkytina Senior Member

Clay, Alabama
    Yes, UAB is in Birmingham. Pridgen and UA is in Tuscaloosa, about 1.5 hours away, maybe less. You'll remember Tuscaloosa is where the massive tornado went through in 2011, killing over 240 across the state, but a big portion of them in Tuscaloosa. UA is also home of the Crimson Tide football team, winning many national championships. Older folks will remember Paul Bear Bryant and Joe Namath. It is a business-oriented college.

UAB is in downtown Birmingham. They are more known for the associated hospitals and more recently clinics. They have a university with a variety of fields. But because of the hospitals, nursing and medicine is big at UAB. Medical research is big there also. The hospital was known as one of top three for bypass surgeries. AIDS treatment and research is big there. Just last week they announced researchers found a cure for diabetes in mice. They are 27th in the nation in NIH research funding. UAB is one of the sites for the pain education centers of excellence.

We in AL know of its impact and prestige on medicine and research. But it goes unnoticed by most of world. Now, they are getting into our diseases.

Some factors that influenced Younger is the tenure program offered at UAB is more attractive than Stanford. I don't know if this influenced him, but he is originally from a very small town in Tenn. Maybe he missed sweet tea. Also, UAB is willing to have him be over something that he creates. Montoya has his thing going good, but Younger can do a big thing of his own at UAB. It's a great professional opportunity.

Little Bluestem, Bob and Sushi like this.

See more popular forum discussions.