• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Multivitamin causing sound sensitivity & tinnitus 30 mins after ingestion, cause?

Deltrus

http://www.vitacost.com/vitacost-mens-50-plus-multi-vitamin-120-tablets-5

30 mins after I take 2 pills, I get tinnitus, and nervous system twitches when I hear a loud noise. Constant loud noise brings discomfort. I took this supplement before and it actually gave my a sore throat on my right side, which is usually the side of me that gets nerve pain.

I took 600 mg magnesium citrate and 100 mg vit b6 at the same time as these pills.

I'm also feeling a bit of pulsing in my nasal cavity.

Is there some interaction with trace minerals? I know that magnesium deficiency can cause noise sensitivity and tinnitus. Is there some sort of way magnesium could be used up inside cells with another trace mineral cofactor? Some sort of hidden magnesium deficiency?

EDIT: Mostly dissipated 30 mins later. Edit rofl it came back a bit worse

Last edited:

PeterPositive

I'd cut the B6.
Two tablets of the multivitamin + 100mg B6 = 150mg B6 total... too much if you ask me.

B6 can cause all sorts of problems at high doses and that is definitely a megadose. Maybe it's not B6 but it certainly stands out as too much among the other things.

cheers

Deltrus

I am pretty sure it was the B1 (thiamine) because it helps get magnesium into cells: http://forums.phoenixrising.me/inde...rs-for-magnesium-absorption-into-cells.26885/

Magnesium deficiency and b12 deficiency are the main causes of tinnitus.

I tested my hypothesis, and the ringing got worse after taking 200 mg b1 by itself. It probably created an induced magnesium deficiency in the area that controls tinnitus.

My normal b vitamin complex had half the b1 that my new multi had. Also my multi has boron and copper that work as cofactors for getting magnesium into cells.

I probably have a b1 and magnesium deficiency. Most magnesium is in the cells rather than blood so perhaps I am going to see large improvements in a few days.

Also hint that I have a b1 deficiency is that sometimes my urine would smell weird and sweet. See: http://lpi.oregonstate.edu/mic/vitamins/thiamin#metabolic-diseases-treatment

Thiamine can treat maple syrup urine disease.

Last edited:

Justin30

Magnesium deficiencies and B12 dificiencies are relevant in Neurological based disorders such as MS, alzhiemers, etc.

In ME same thing Neuro Immune illness...
My Dr said increase B12...and Dr Chenney believes in increasing Magnesium.

Depending on what the Magnesium is bonded to will result in differences in absorption.

- Magnesium Malate absorbs well
- Magnesium Glycinatr absorbs well
- Magnesium Sulphate in injectable form calms the CNS and decrease certain immune reaponses (I cant remember which ones)

The theory is that minerals are leaching out of cells very quickly and are filling with calcium....ie the mineral is magnesium...magnesium citrate leeches the quickest based on research....

Restoring mineral deficiencies and methylation seem to be very difficult as per research and requires less stress on the body ie sleep, resting, meditating, pacing, removing pathogens, viruses, etc.

Our bodies immune system and detox systems are being bombarded leading to low level inflamation (immune responses throughout the body) basically being toxified from the inside out. This actually is the conected to Neuro Inflamation and Overstimulation. This is what I gather from to many hours of not resting and reading.

I am not a Dr obviously but Dr Chenney and others mention:

- clonazapam, neurontin, magnesium to work on overstimulation
- Dr Jay Goldstien old school retired MECFS Physician was into NMDA and Calcium Channel Blockers as some of his most effective treatments...this aligns with Chenney and many other CFS experts when you start connecting the tangled mess of ME/CFS research out their.

I know I said a lot I hope this disipates and goes away for you...neuro systems really affect me and make me very uncomfortable and I have them all the time...

Deltrus

Hello everyone just coming back with some more info for anyone else getting tinnitus from b vitamin supplementation.

High dose magnesium and zinc seem to get rid of the tinnitus and ease a lot of brainfog etc. I've taken like 1.5g magnesium and 200 mg zinc. Yes, I'm taking copper 10 mg 2x a day to combat the high dose of zinc. I'm also going to be cycling the zinc.

Zinc and magnesium are both heavily used up by B vitamins, and both can cause tinnitus.

Cheers.

Deltrus

Heavy metal chelation might be involved here, I may have been wrong all along. Symptoms are starting to resemble chelation, I'm getting weird smelling urine, and the tinnitus goes away faster after taking vitamin C which is a heavy metal chelator. I stopped taking copper for two weeks after it made me feel nauseous, and today after I kept urinating strong/swampy smelling urine for the entire morning, I got the same nausea and shaking as when I took too much copper.

I also am getting pressures in my head which dwindle after a while, and then after I urinate, the pressure comes back again. I've read head pressure is a symptom of chelation.

Justin30

Very interesting just watched a video on how Autistic kids dump high levels of zinc and B6 and Biotin out in Urine.

This being said they also were found to have way higher gram negative bacteria in there stool.

Further I just had a meyers cocktail the other day and it removed my symptoms for 1 day. But then back to crap again....

I think there is really something up with high dose vitamin C scavenging heavy metals, boosting immunity and detoxing from digestive processing of food.

I got a bad headache and pressure symptoms for 2 days after I felt good.....

Deltrus

Yeah so far zinc, b vitamins (esp b1, b2, sometimes b12) can cause the tinnitus, then vitamin C, longvida curcumin etc + water removes the tinnitus and just leaves me with a slight pressure feeling which slowly goes away. I also got a headache for like 1 minute which I haven't had for like 8 years. I used to have many headaches when I was a kid.

Justin30

Yeah so far zinc, b vitamins (esp b1, b2, sometimes b12) can cause the tinnitus, then vitamin C, longvida curcumin etc + water removes the tinnitus and just leaves me with a slight pressure feeling which slowly goes away. I also got a headache for like 1 minute which I haven't had for like 8 years. I used to have many headaches when I was a kid.

Really strange...i wonder why the b vits and zince......oh the sr in the video said to expect worsening of symptoms for up to 6-8 months with high dose zinc, B6 and Biotin.

I get heaches from the longvida curcumin...i need to experiment with that one more...to see if its that causing the headaches....

Deltrus

It has been a few months and my new hypothesis is that the tinnitus is from immune activation in the brain / ear area. I read a few things about tinnitus from viral infection and inflammation of the trigeminal nerve.

I get tinnitus shortly after b vitamins, zinc, magnesium, vitamin C, ALA and a few other things. The only link I can find is the immune system. Normally zinc and magnesium are used to PREVENT tinnitus. But they also boost the immune system. Magnesium especially should lower brain excitation and lower tinnitus, but it often does the opposite for me.

Luckily the tinnitus is around %40 quieter than it used to be, and it doesn't usually last too long. Not that annoying. I can also feel regions tingling in my brain when I get tinnitus.

So for reference for people who get tinnitus from things that are supposed to prevent tinnitus, it might be the immune system.

@Deltrus

Interesting, thanks for sharing. I have similar symptoms to you (tinnitus, pressure, tingling, ear sensitivities etc) and am also looking for a multivitamin. A health professional of mine recently suggested taking large dose multivitamins (split up into small amounts) throughout the day. This obviously concerned me a little, as many supplements have tended to make me feel worse even in small amounts, but perhaps as suggested in this thread, the first signs of benefit are increased symptoms? After a few months taking your multivitmain now, would you recommend it?

Deltrus

Well, I would use the woman's formula because it doesn't have Saw Palmetto, which is used to prevent balding but can also cause oxidative stress and mess with some things.

I'd say overall maybe there was a small benefit.

I get tinnitus now and then so there's that. Don't keep taking something if it gives tinnitus because it can cause tinnitus long term.

caledonia

Out of the list of things you reported taking, ALA is a potent chelator of mercury of the brain. The others are not. If you have mercury toxicity, taking ALA once a day is a really bad idea as it will pull the mercury out of the brain, but not enough to get it out of the body. Then the mercury will redistribute back into the body causing various symptoms. Tinnitus can be one of them.

The way around this is to take small doses of ALA on a frequent basis (like every 3 hours) in weekly rounds of 3 days on 4 day off.

Some of the other supplements, such as vitamin C, magnesium and zinc are actually part of the "core four" support supplements for mercury toxicity and should help with symptoms.

See my signature link for information on Cutler frequent dose chelation.