• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Moringa oleifera - anybody tried it?

loz

I tried it. I got it from wholefoods online. I am in UK. My experience was couldn't tolerate it. Everytime I tried it I felt I got strong detox symptoms and my body couldn't cope. I got them even of a eighth of a teaspoon, so very little. I tried it several times, each time same problem. Shame as I was hoping it would work. Whether it was working, hence the detox symptoms and I am just too ill to cope with those symptoms or whether they were not detox symptoms but rather M.E symptoms increasing, i don't know! I gave up in the end.

I also tried Maca and couldn't tolerate that, but in a different way. It affected my sleep, it felt like I was having a 'high' stimulated me. I am not a fan of 'stimulents' because after being stimulated which I feel is a 'false' energy you then 'come down' and crash. So I gave up on that as well.

perchance dreamer

@loz, I do fine with moringa, but I had the same experience you had with maca. It had a terrible effect on my sleep, even just a little bit first thing in the morning.

chilove

Hey all,

I've tried several different brands off of Amazon.com and they seemed pretty similar in quality. I just like to be sure I'm getting organic since most of it comes from overseas. There is a moringa farm outside of Austin Texas that has really good fresh moringa: http://moringatexas.com/aboutus.sc

I still take it everyday in my smoothies as a way to add in extra protein and nutrients. I'm a raw vegan and like the idea of having a raw, natural "multivitamin" powder

Sing

A half teaspoon of Moringa powder from a farm in California which specializes in Moringa products--that worked fine. It smelled good, fresh, and tasted good, but it seemed to me that it would not be doing much unless I could eat more. So I wanted to up it to a whole teaspoon. This maybe would have been fine if I consumed any type of smoothie, but I don't anymore. Just trying to down it plain--a whole teaspoon--I didn't like. It didn't give me bad symptoms, I just didn't like that much dry!

I gave it up--probably prematurely. I think if you consistently drank smoothies or ate big vegetable stir frys or made vegetable stews that you could sprinkle some over, Moringa powder would prove to be a useful addition, especially for a vegan or vegetarian.

But I found a great use for the 1 oz bottle of Moringa oil I also purchased. I add a big drop to the leave-on hair conditioner I use, and it makes my curly hair look smooth, unfrizzy, neatly wavy--not oily. I got the idea when I saw hair products in a good salon with Moringa Oleifera. The oil seems to have different properties. It is not like the other nut or vegetable oils I know. It feels different and very nice on the skin too.

Worth continuing to experiment with it!

Gingergrrl

@manoka I suspect that not a lot of people ended up trying it so there was not too much more to report. I asked my doctor about it and he did not feel that I should try it so I never did.
@Gingergrrl: It sounds like your doctor is an orthodox medical practitioner, so probably doesn´t know (much) about nutrition anyway, let alone about Moringa.

But still, a few people have been posting here about their (first) experiences with Moringa - and the questions are aimed at those.

Last edited:
i didn't feel like there was anything special about it. it actually made me quite sick.
@acrosstheveil: According to the nutritional composition it certainly must be superior to most of the other more common leafy greens.
If it made you sick there could be two possible reasons: Either the product was not good, or your body could be so heavily loaded with heavy metals or other toxins, that you got a detox reaction.
Can you eat considerable amounts of spinach, kale or other dark greens without feeling sick?

brenda

Back on moringa, since my body can now cope with supplements due to my new diet and increasing healing. Two capsules a day so far and thinking of purchasing the powder instead. I also take other superfoods like maca, chia, and barley leaf.

Rand56

I read over this thread again. My experiment with it when I tried it long ago, didn't last long even when I cut back some on the amount. Now I wonder if alteast some of my negative reaction came from the higher iron content, idk. Optimist posted the nutritional breakdown of it and 27 mg's is pretty high. I know that atleast for males, its best not to go over 8 mg's per day.

Or, if I am possibly part female and part rat :lol:.........

"The role of Moringa oleifera aqueous leaf extract in the regulation of thyroid hormone status, was studied in adult Swiss rats. Other than the thyroid hormone concentrations, hepatic lipid peroxidation (LPO) and the activities of antioxidant enzymes, superoxide dismutase (SOD) and catalase (CAT) were evaluated. In the first experiment, effects of the leaf extract (175 mg kg(-1)body wt. day(-1)for 10 days) were studied both in male and female animals. Following the administration of the extract, serum triiodothyronine (T(3)) concentration and hepatic LPO decreased with a concomitant increase in the serum thyroxine (T(4)) concentration, in female rats, while in males no significant changes were observed, suggesting that Moringa oleifera leaf extract is more effective in females than in the males. To evaluate the impact of a higher dose, in the second experiment, the study was repeated in female rats, with 350 mg kg(-1)body wt. day(-1)for the same duration. Almost similar reduction in the serum T(3)concentration (approx. 30%) and an increase in the T(4)concentration were observed suggesting the inhibiting nature of Moringa oleifera leaf extract in the peripheral conversion of T(4)to T(3), the principal source of the generation of latter hormone. As the antiperoxidative effects were exhibited only by the lower dose and percent decrease in T(3)concentration was nearly the same by both the doses, it is suggested that the lower concentration of this plant extract may be used for the regulation of hyperthyriodism"

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10675284

brenda

Hmmm, someone earlier in the thread said that they had gained weight on moringa. As I am hypothyroid, I might stop taking it.

Rand56

Hmmm, someone earlier in the thread said that they had gained weight on moringa. As I am hypothyroid, I might stop taking it.

Yes, I noticed her post too on gaining weight. @chilove if you are part rat.,,haha...did you have any symptoms of being hyperthyroid before you started getting good effects with it? The protein content certainly isn't high enough to put on a good amount of muscle weight.

Gondwanaland

Regarding thyroid, I read it is high in iodine, so it's a no-no for Hashimoto's, just like the other miracle plant mucuna :meh:

Regarding thyroid, I read it is high in iodine, so it's a no-no for Hashimoto's, just like the other miracle plant mucuna :meh:
This seems to be a myth which the profit optimizing pharma-corporations and their indoctrinated scientists and orthodox doctors want you to believe.

My girlfriend is suffering from Hashimoto´s and pollen allergy, and she's taking a supplement with iodine (from seaweed), as well as selenium - and she is significantly fitter since she´s taking them.
See e.g. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iodine_in_biology#Thyroid :
"…
Iodine has a nutritional relationship with selenium
.., high Iodine in the absence of selenium destroys the thyroid gland …"

If you do a search on the intent, you can find more detailed information about this.

Another helpful thing is the replacement of the synthetic thyroid hormones with a more complete desiccated thyroid extract or to supplement it with a whole thyroid tissue concentrate (glandular), which do not just supplement the thyroxine (T4) but also contain the co-factors (like thyroid specific essential minerals, trace elements, vitamins and more), and in the latter case, may also include a synergistic complex.