Professor & patients' paper on the solvable biological challenge of ME/CFS: reader-friendly version
Simon McGrath provides a patient-friendly version of a peer-reviewed paper which highlights some of the most promising biomedical research on ME/CFS ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Montreal ME/CFS II: Stopping PEM, the Antibody Subset and Unutmaz’s Big Surprise

Discussion in 'Latest ME/CFS Research' started by Gingergrrl, Jun 1, 2018.

1. Gingergrrl

Gingergrrl Senior Member

USA
    I searched in case this link was already posted but couldn't find it. It is from Cort's blog /Simmaron Research re: the recent Montreal Conference. I am particularly interested in Dr. Scheibenbogen's autoantibody research so I am quoting some of that portion (but there is a lot more to read on other topics, too)!

http://simmaronresearch.com/2018/05/montreal-ii-stopping-pem-antibody-subset-unutmazs-big-surprise/

leokitten, bertiedog, Murph and 9 others like this.
  2. Diwi9

Diwi9 Senior Member

USA
    @Gingergrrl - Thank you, been waiting for Cort to post the second part of Montreal!

L'engle, Laurie P and Gingergrrl like this.
  3. msf

msf Senior Member

It's already possible to stop PEM, but high amounts of dca cause peripheral neuropathy, so hopefully they're coming up with a less problematic alternative.

4. msf

msf Senior Member

PEM caused by lactic acid build up, that is.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2018
  5. lnester7

lnester7 Seven

USA
    What is DCA? Never heard of it for PEM

6. msf

msf Senior Member

There's a whole thread and pilot study on it, just Google it. DCA stands for dichloroacetate. If you want to know how it might work, I wrote a blog about how I think ME works, and DCA fits nicely with that (once you know that it is also an mtor inhibitor).

Last edited: Jun 5, 2018
  7. Murph

Murph :)

Both part of @Cort's montreal write-up are worth a read.

I'm interested in Unutmaz and his T-Cell work that finds a link to the gut certainly seems like it could be a missing link for us.

I liked this from Keller too. Almost enough to make me want to get a two CPET ;)

8. bertiedog

bertiedog Senior Member

South East England, UK
    This seems to tie in with the description the Scientist was giving in her interview in the BBC Radio 4 recording today of Life Scientific which I posted earlier.

I cannot believe that this won't pan out as to be a major issue for many of us with ME.

Pam

ljimbo423, ScottTriGuy and Murph like this.
  9. msf

msf Senior Member

Yeah, the t cell stuff is really interesting, and kdm et all have reported a t cell independent pathway that is altered in me patients too. The word activated suggests that the MAIT cells are also ramping up glycolysis, hence the effectiveness (I believe) of dca in ramping down the immune response.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2018
  10. msf

msf Senior Member

Oops, didn't mean to quote myself.

See more popular forum discussions.