• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Mold in our house, could have affected my ME?

Hello,

Even though I have known for a while I haven't really thought of mentioning on here. In my brothers room next to mine he has mold behind the walls I think it is because the chimney is above his room and the water came in. It has been obvious over time when it has started to darken the walls and around the ceiling. I think is still there and has been for a few years, I have had ME for over 4 years.

Is it possible there is a link?

Brother has said that mold has been gone for a few months, could it still be a problem though?

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
You didn't say what kind of mold but I'm guessing black mold.

I recently moved out of a place that had mold in it. I moved in August 1, found out about the mold Mid September. I never noticed it until it rained and then it filled my lungs with spores.

I don't believe the mold itself effected me because it was a short time but there are a lot of people who believe mold has a huge impact on your health and does in fact cause serious problems.

The other issue is how was the mold removed? You need professionals to come in and remove it, kill it and then they have to test the air to make sure all the mold was gone. If that wasn't done there still could be mold.

Minks

There are cases where someone is healthy and gets very ill because of the mold. (And recover slowly after getting to a clean place.)

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
I know some people who lived in a mold ridden place for too long and he suffered cognitive impairment.

The only way to know if it has affected you is to go get tested by a professional. But again, there are people here who believe it.

Here is a book someone here told me about "Mold Warriors and Surviving Mold" and there is a Dr. Shoemaker in NJ I think who is really big on mold.

You won't know until you get tested.

Mink

globalpilot

Hello,

Even though I have known for a while I haven't really thought of mentioning on here. In my brothers room next to mine he has mold behind the walls I think it is because the chimney is above his room and the water came in. It has been obvious over time when it has started to darken the walls and around the ceiling. I think is still there and has been for a few years, I have had ME for over 4 years.

Is it possible there is a link?

It's defintely possible. There are stories of people who got sick after exposure to mold. Many stories. I'd go see a doc that deals with mold by testing for it and treating it if I found myself in that situaiton.