• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Miracle cures. Diets. Supplements. Cleanse. Detox. Evidence?

Violeta

You are the one who brought up homoeopathy, in case you forgot! Comment 34 (how can a modern bluetooth keyboard not have a hashtag?). Anyway, we are now at the point where you are judging me for judging people who judge other people for not eating "healthily" enough, and snarling is starting all round, so I propose we drop this. The three-way (possibly four, depending on where Valentijn) judgeathon made me chuckle, but I am pretty bored by now and unfollowing this thread, so please don't tag me in further comments.
I didn't forget that I brought it up, I just knew that it would fit in with things you would like to "warn" people about..

I wasn't judging you, I was asking why you were allowed to judge people who have found relief from eating a restricted diet.

Calling people orthorexics when you don't even know anything about their reasons for eliminating foods or not having the ability to maintain or gain weight is actually bringing shame on someone.

It's very common for people to want to point the finger and then say I want out when their points are being refuted.

RL_sparky

I found this article interesting in light of the discussion taking place.
Excerpts:

"And it turns out, certainly in The Gambia, that the amount of leafy green vegetables your mother (and possibly your father) are eating around the time of your conception can have a big impact on the rest of your life.
What really surprised me is that not only are the effects so profound, but that they don't kick in for many years. Up until the age of 15 there's no discernible difference between the children. After that, however, the differences, as I described earlier, become striking, even shocking."

"As Matt Silver, part of the MRC team, says: "Variation in methylation state in this gene could affect your ability to fight viral infections and it may also affect your chances of survival from cancers such as leukaemia and lung cancer."
If you are thinking of having a baby, then eating lots of leafy green vegetables, which are rich in B vitamins and folates, is certainly a good thing to do. Folic acid supplements are also recommended to reduce the risk of neural tube defects."
http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-34222452

alex3619

1) Psychobabble - You 'think/believer' yourself into illness - you are to blame because you have a poor/lazy attitude.

2) Alternative/Integrative medicine
Sadly this is not limited to alternative medicine. Some of mainstream medicine is no better, particularly in psychiatry.

Caveat emptor ... let the buyer beware. The only antidotes are an informed public and better science. We should never be content with shoddy science, or misuse of science.

However the issues with some (not all) alternative medicine, and integrative medicine, are part of the standard medical model. If you go into a doctor's office with a congested head, sneezing, coughing and so on, they might prescribe nothing, give you antibiotics, or based on other symptoms like fever and headache might prescribe an antiviral. EVERY single one of these choices is an informed guess unless they ran cultures and looked closely at the results. Every single one of these alternative treatments might be best for a given patient, depending on the cause of their issue. With doctor appointments limited to minutes in most cases, and not enough interest in tests or paying for tests, a lot of (albeit informed) guesswork is going on.

Last edited:

GhostGum

People who go on about Big Pharma often seem to forget that Big Alterna is in it for the money as well, and has less scientific research and usually no regulation going on. We should be careful with all of it.

I completely agree that drugs regulation is all over the place and needs to be sorted out. I'm in favour of decriminalisation and regulation, personally. Cannabis definitely needs to be made available, and properly researched and regulated for medical use.

I would just like to clarify, because I appear to bash 'big pharma' a bit, that it clearly goes both ways. I am not anti establishment at all, I am just endless disappointed of the greed over accountable science and improving humanity. Big pharma has produced all kinds of effective and important products, all the same, as has been pointed out on this forum numerous times, they fudge data all the time, over play their drugs while underplaying the dangers, have been involved in some of the biggest fraud cases of all time and are more interested in their bottom line than anything else.

And no cannabis does not need to be regulated, it is incredibly safe, especially if the THC is lowered or removed completely. Anyone should be able to grow it for free and turn it into an oil, paste or tincture for their needs. It is clearly the closest thing to a panacea in existence and it should be free to everyone. All we need is better understanding of genetic variations and what is most suitable for your condition, Israel has already been doing this for years by the way; but of course our governments are not interested in their developments or policies.

http://nocamels.com/2015/01/medical-marijuana-designer-strains-illnesses-research/

barbc56

I would just like to clarify, because I appear to bash 'big pharma' a bit, that it clearly goes both ways. I am not anti establishment at all, I am just endless disappointed of the greed over accountable science and improving humanity. Big pharma has produced all kinds of effective and important products, all the same, as has been pointed out on this forum numerous times, they fudge data all the time, over play their drugs while underplaying the dangers, have been involved in some of the biggest fraud cases of all time and are more interested in their bottom line than anything else.

Good point and there's no excuse for these type of things to happen.

It does go both ways. Big Sup., is also rift with charlatans, misrepresentation of science for profit and pure greed. Unfortunately, in the states, there is very little regulation. How this came about is an interesting but rather frustrating story.

There are some alternative treatments that are shown to eventually work. But then it's not alternative anymore.

I don't know if there's a difference between MJ and marinol as far as the effectiveness something, I've wondered about.

But I do think anything with medicinal properties being sold as a commercial product does need to be regulated. I think the states where it's now legal to buy there's regulation but don't know the extent.

If someone is growing pot for themselves, certainly something I never did in the sixties:rolleyes:, not a problem and doesn't need to be regulated