• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Memory loss from West Nile virus may be preventable

Cipher

Administrator
I stumbled upon this pretty interesting article recently that I thought might be interesting for some of you:

https://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2018-01/wuso-mlf011618.php

Now, a new study in mice suggests that such ongoing neurological deficits may be due to unresolved inflammation that hinders the brain's ability to repair damaged neurons and grow new ones. When the inflammation was reduced by treatment with an arthritis drug, the animals' ability to learn and remember remained sharp after West Nile disease.

"It's almost like the brain gets caught in a loop that keeps IL-1 levels high and prevents it from repairing itself," said Klein, who is also a professor of neuroscience and of pathology and immunology.

.. Mice that were infected and treated with the IL-1 blocker learned just as quickly as mock-infected mice, indicating that blocking IL-1 protected the mice from memory problems.