• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

MEA website question for February: Diagnosis - how long does it take? (UK only)

meandthecat

Hi crosser. I live near Bath and went to the clinic there. At the time I was newly diagnosed, Ill for 18 months, and soooo naive. I was desperate to get well after an acute viral onset.

The diagnosis of CFS is an affront to the intellect..... but they were doctors......... The course delivered by a pair of OT's whom I likened to a pantomime horse half killed me and the numbers dropped from 13 in the first week to 3 in the third week and stayed there. I saw it through due to still having a belief in the medical system, can't believe I was so dumb.......

It was my Rubicon, and as the scales dropped from my eyes and I saw the whole sqaulid charade for what it was I felt betrayed, ripped up their self-assessment forms and told them where they could stick them.

Do you know that scene in the first Judge Dread where chief justice takes the 'long walk' leaving mega city behind, yeah well it felt a bit like that. And then I found PR in the wilderness....and began to recover.

We all have to find our own way, may you have luck and help on yours.

Anger is a gift

meandthecat

I agree that the diagnosis criteria are vital to accurately defining and treating any disease its just that in practice the water has been so muddied, intentionally, that the run of the mill CFS diagnosis is worse than nothing for it exposes you to prejudice and abuse without giving access to treatment.

MEMum

I'm surprised at people being diagnosed before 6 months, as I thought that symptoms had to be present for at least 6 months

Children can be diagnosed after 3 months in UK or at least that was so in 2010.