• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

MCAS or HNMT issues (or both)?

Hope78

Hi there,

every other day I get horrible histamine issues.

My main triggers are:
- histamine liberators
- oxalates (food)
- eggs
- changes in weather
- episodes of low cortisol
- every form of excertion

What I don't get: all the people with MCAS seem to have gut/stomach and skind issues or anaphylaxis ort they get "masto coma" (get very tired). I have none of that.

My skin does get a bit itchy, but nothing bad. My main symptoms are nervous system related, that's why wondered if it's not MCAS but HNMT related. When I have histamine issues,

- I feel poisoned and inflamed all over
- I feel horribly wired, unable to sleep for 24 hours
- restless legs
- histamine seems to increase all stresshormones, so lots of adrenaline in my system then
- horrible body odor

Anyone else with this strange nervous system symptoms?

Fogbuster

Yeah, same for me. No anaphylaxis, bad skin issues or severe tiredness. Mainly strange nervous system/adrenaline symptoms, cognitive issues, food issues with a ridiculous amount of foods eg beans, high fodmaps foods, fermented dairy/veg, fruit juices, fruit. Along with cigarettes, caffeine, alcohol, kitchen sprays/deodorants. Body odour has got worse too. I used to have a bit of restless leg syndrome, but that improved over time.

Anything I consume causes a relatively quick, but sometimes more gradual onset of cognitive, nervous system, respiratory symptoms, with a few other random symptoms too. Nothing very serious, but enough to knock out my functionality so much that I've been mostly unable to work or really do anything with my life for the past 6-7 years. Main issues from symptom onset is reading comprehension, memory and word recall.

It looks like a strong possibility that I have MCAS, i'll need to further investigate. It sounds like you possibly may have it too based on what you've written.